• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Asking for help: Meopta Meostar B1 10 X 42 vs Opticron Aurora BGA VHD 10 x 42 (2 Viewers)

Yes, your picture made it very clear that CA is very much present at FOV edge and it looks vivid. It reminds me of the colour I have seen in a lower tier Zeiss I once tried. In one review CA was described as only a merest trace of CA was detected at the field stop. To my eyes it appears to be more significant than that.

I fully accept that I can not get alfa glass in the Aurora but this amount of CA might be too much for me. CA is maddening to my brain

Thank you again for providing pictures, jackjack. One picture really can say more than a thousand words.

View attachment 1570557
The CA is quite noticeable. I haven’t seen any CA when using my inexpensive Opticron Oregon 8x42’s, but it might be due to lack of sensitivity to it. I read that the Aurora handles CA very well. Maybe this pair is defective.

Yes, your picture made it very clear that CA is very much present at FOV edge and it looks vivid. It reminds me of the colour I have seen in a lower tier Zeiss I once tried. In one review CA was described as only a merest trace of CA was detected at the field stop. To my eyes it appears to be more significant than that.

I fully accept that I can not get alfa glass in the Aurora but this amount of CA might be too much for me. CA is maddening to my brain

Thank you again for providing pictures, jackjack. One picture really can say more than a thousand words.

View attachment 1570557
I'm planning to right a review of the Opticron Aurora 8x42 here in bridforum.
but it will take some time because I have other works have to be done.
maybe It will be uploaded in two weeks.

If you don't have time, contact me with private message.

Looking forward to your review. Cheers!

The CA is quite noticeable. I haven’t seen any CA when using my inexpensive Opticron Oregon 8x42’s, but it might be due to lack of sensitivity to it. I read that the Aurora handles CA very well. Maybe this pair is defective.

Yes, it might be defective but at the same time other reviewers have described CA where jackjack located it, but it has never been described as noticeable as in the photo jackjack provided. Ratal even sold his Zeiss SF 8 x 42 and he is very happy with the Aurora:
Where the Opticron shines is the delightful, creamy velvety palette of colours that bathes the viewers eye. It is far, far more relaxing and inviting than the colder Zeiss, and when you have them over water? The Opticron wins - as something the Zeiss has that stopped me dead, was a brilliant blue ring around the entire image. Bright blue. Dazzling in high glare at sea.

I sold my Zeiss, and I never thought I would ever write that, but every time I use my Opticron bins, I have zero regrets.

It might come down to preferanses; some people don't see an issue with CA at the edge of FOV and that is perfectly fine.

I'm now leaning towards Meopta B1.1 as I'm quite certain it will be equal to or better than my old B1.

Last edited:

To me you have done a great job already, and I'm starting to edge towards Meostar B1.1. Meostar is heavy but I can handle that. The amount of CA you have found is far too much for me.

Yes, it might be defective but at the same time other reviewers have described CA where jackjack located it, but it has never been described as noticeable as in the photo jackjack provided. Ratal even sold his Zeiss SF 8 x 42 and he is very happy with the Aurora:

It might come down to preferanses; some people don't see an issue with CA at the edge of FOV and that is perfectly fine.

I'm now leaning towards Meopta B1.1 as I'm quite certain it will be equal to or better than my old B1.
That part of the review, I think diffrently. aurora has blue tint coloring.
exactly diffrent if you want cream texture like Leica.
because bino that is known for cream color, such as leica trinovid and kowa geneses cut down the blue transmission.
but Aurora did exactly opposit.

disturbing then Zeiss sf 8x42 because of higher percentage of blue light transmission, too bright color of the rim of the edge and more rolling ball effect form less pincusion distortion.

It's overall optics is better then it's price point. but build quality and view comfortness is what make a diffrence.

Aurora is bit abnormal binocular.

1000215858.jpg
edge. Aurora 8x42, EL 8x32, EDG 8x42.

EL 8x32 also have large center - to - edge CA gap the. average bino. but Aurora is another level. it's center CA is about same comparing to EL. but at the edge, thing goes similer with the photo above.
and Aurora has much brighter coloring of rim of the FOV circle. bright enough to somtime get into your view.

aurora have really steep con and pros.

light weight - crummy build quality.

Really good central sharpness nice edge sharpness- bluish coloring tone and rolling ball effect that can be bothering to some.

Really good center CA control - Edge CA.

View attachment 1570656
edge. Aurora 8x42, EL 8x32, EDG 8x42.

EL 8x32 also have large center - to - edge CA gap the. average bino. but Aurora is another level. it's center CA is about same comparing to EL. but at the edge, thing goes similer with the photo above.
and Aurora has much brighter coloring of rim of the FOV circle. bright enough to somtime get into your view.

aurora have really steep con and pros.

light weight - crummy build quality.

Really good central sharpness nice edge sharpness- bluish coloring tone and rolling ball effect that can be bothering to some.

Really good center CA control - Edge CA.
I now know the Aurora will not be a good fit for me when out backcountry skiing on sunny days :1712337148162.png

This amount of bright blue will take away the joy of looking through what in other qualities seems to be a great binocular:
1712337446685.png

My mind is now set and I have decided against the Aurora. I'm 100% certain owners of the Aurora are very happy with it, but it's just not for me.
Yet again, jackjack, you have gone over and beyond with your time and and I'm very grateful for your help.

Too embaresing to elaborate on:).
🤣 MeoStars feel like something you could use to pound in a loose nail with and keep on using without any misalignment issues.

Also, they have almost an entirely CA free image. In my eyes, the best CA correction out there.

The Zeiss Conquest HD binoculars have been discontinued twice by $200 here in the states in less than six months, so maybe Zeiss is planning on coming out with a new version. If you can wait, it might be worth it.

really? very interesting because I really like cinquest series especially 8x32.
in USA?
At a local birding event I asked the Zeiss representative if they were coming out with a new Conquest HD, and the response was that he did not know and even if he did, he could not say one way or the other. He did say that the Conquest HD had been around for over ten years. It’s just rather odd that they discounted the price twice in the last few months.

At a local birding event I asked the Zeiss representative if they were coming out with a new Conquest HD, and the response was that he did not know and even if he did, he could not say one way or the other. He did say that the Conquest HD had been around for over ten years. It’s just rather odd that they discounted the price twice in the last few months.
In South Korea. we didn't even have 30mm sfl... market is small so it is too slow following new products of some makers.
If the price is discounted in all the shops at the same time, it will be very hopefull.

But please consider, that amount of CA at the edge of opticron aurora is cannot just be defined as 'much then center, it's amount is amongthe most vivid CA I ever seen, and also it have more bluish spectrum (sort of ultramarine coloring) then other binoculaer's purple CA so it can be more bothering to eyes.
So of three binoculars I have compared to the Aurora, within a similar price range(except Noctivid), as far as CA goes. Right now drizzle and cloudy is an easy observation before work. Of the binoculars I had on my kitchen table a quick view from my back patio yields the following results... Aurora<Monarch HG<SFL<Noctivid<Conquest HD. I can absolutely see the "blue" reflection posted IF I TRY. It is absolutely in the 5% outermost of the FOV. I can see similar in the Monarch HG. But the Monarch HG and Aurora are easily the best in this group concerning CA.

Food for thought....the perfect binocular does not exist. EVEN THOUGH the Aurora has the least CA of the group above, I still might lean toward the SFL as the binocular I'd be most likely to use the most for a BIRDING binocular...Focus adjustment and handling. Either way, splitting hairs or stacking BBs.

IMG_2529.jpeg

So of three binoculars I have compared to the Aurora, within a similar price range(except Noctivid), as far as CA goes. Right now drizzle and cloudy is an easy observation before work. Of the binoculars I had on my kitchen table a quick view from my back patio yields the following results... Aurora<Monarch HG<SFL<Noctivid<Conquest HD. I can absolutely see the "blue" reflection posted IF I TRY. It is absolutely in the 5% outermost of the FOV. I can see similar in the Monarch HG. But the Monarch HG and Aurora are easily the best in this group concerning CA.

Food for thought....the perfect binocular does not exist. EVEN THOUGH the Aurora has the least CA of the group above, I still might lean toward the SFL as the binocular I'd be most likely to use the most for a BIRDING binocular...Focus adjustment and handling. Either way, splitting hairs or stacking BBs.

IMG_2529.jpeg
It sounds like the Aurora has pretty good CA control. Is there anything else that stood out from the Aurora, and why do you prefer the SFL over the it? Cheers!

IMG_2529.jpeg
Thank you for sharing. It is easy to ask a question but to give an answer often takes much time and effort.

I believe most people will have no problem with the amount of CA found in the Aurora. It is impresses me that the Aurora controls CA better than the SFL.

Thank you for sharing. It is easy to ask a question but to give an answer often takes much time and effort.

I believe most people will have no problem with the amount of CA found in the Aurora. It is impresses me that the Aurora controls CA better than the SFL.
in the center of the view, it's true. compared to 8x40 SFL.

sfl itself shows strong purple CA at the edge. especially 10x40.
but aurora have more CA at the end of the edge.
aurora's center CA control can be better then you expected.
really deserve a praise, but I think also it's strong edge CA deserve some criticize.
just around 10 percent but still manage to bother my eyes in some occasions.

when I compared meostar B1+ 8x42 to sfl 8x40, sfl has bit less center CA.
maybe because meostar don't deploy HD lens at 7,8 power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back