• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for Peru (1 Viewer)

Martinetti

Hello everyone ! I'm planning a trip to Peru for next year and I would like to know what is the best time to visit Manu (birdwatching and wildlife watching).

Also, I would like some site suggestions, here is my tentative one month route :

Paracas
Arequipa, Canon del Colca
Titicaca Lake
Machu Pichu (vilacamba trek)
Manu area (cloud forest, Manu, tambopata, etc.)

Thank you very much.

Hello everyone ! I'm planning a trip to Peru for next year and I would like to know what is the best time to visit Manu (birdwatching and wildlife watching).

Also, I would like some site suggestions, here is my tentative one month route :

Paracas
Arequipa, Canon del Colca
Titicaca Lake
Machu Pichu (vilacamba trek)
Manu area (cloud forest, Manu, tambopata, etc.)

Thank you very much.

Have a look at my trip report at

http://www.freewebs.com/suebryan/peru2006.htm

If I can help let me know.
Best Wishes
Sue

Hello, your travel plan is fine, but Tambopata and Manu are different places, but no problem.
Ballestas Islands in Paracas, very good place to see many birds and some mammals.
Colca Canyon in Arequipa is also good to see birds and if you like the Andean Condor, is the perfect place.
Here I recommend Laguna de Mejia, there is much variety of species, is very interesting.
Titicaca is good, but these birds are also in Laguna de Huacarpay in Cusco and you can also see endemic birds. Bearded EJM Mountaineer.
Machu Picchu is one of the best places to see Tanagers and Hummingbirds, near the village of Aguas Calientes there are good places for birding.
The Manu, is perfect to see birds, the Cloud Forest is an interesting place in Peru and you need 4 days, at least, to be in this place.
Tambopata, you can return to Cuzco and take a flight to Puerto Maldonado, the Tambopata Reserve is very close, good place to see many birds and especially Macaws.
The best time to travel to Peru is from April to November.
If you need help, write me.
Greetings

Thank you for your answers.

I would also like to get some suggestions about mammal watching (monkeys, giant otters, cats, etc.), for now, I think that Manu would be the best place...

I would also like to know what you think about the central area : Oxapampa and Satipo road... (is there good chances to see mammals there?)

Would you say it's better than going south (Arequipa area)?

Can you also tell me if there is overlap in this tentative plan :

Paracas and Islas Ballestas
Arequipa (Laguna de meija and Canon del Colca)
Cusco and Machu Pichu
Manu area
Tambopata area
Huancayo
Oxapampa
Satipo road

To see marine mammals the best place is Ballestas Islands in Pisco, to see all kinds of animals without doubt the best place to Manu and Tambopata.
There are more chances of seeing animals in Manu and Tambopata than Oxapampa or Satipo road.
Arequipa is an area very different from Satipo or Oxapampa, the Colca Canyon is located on the west side of the Andes, definitely can see different animals.
Huancayo and Satipo are located in Junin and are different places, different habitats.
I think that your travel plan is okay.
Grettings

The two seasons are very good, small chance of rain in October, but sometimes this is very good to see birds. The two alternatives are very good.
Grettings

Thanks for the information!

I'm now trying to figure out if I'll go on a tour or if I'll do it independently... since I'm alone for now, a tour would be required for trekking.

I guess Manu must be visited on a tour (particularly if I want to go deep inside the park).

Tambopata and Arequipa areas seem good places for independent travel...

What do you think? Where is it possible to do it independently (alone) and were do you think it is required to go on a tour?

Any tour operator suggestions? What about Kolibri expeditions? Inka Natura? Manu expeditions? They seem to be the only tour operators offering a stay INSIDE Manu...

I guess Manu must be visited on a tour (particularly if I want to go deep inside the park).

Tambopata and Arequipa areas seem good places for independent travel...

What do you think? Where is it possible to do it independently (alone) and were do you think it is required to go on a tour?

Any tour operator suggestions? What about Kolibri expeditions? Inka Natura? Manu expeditions? They seem to be the only tour operators offering a stay INSIDE Manu...

Only scientists and alike can visit the main section of the park. A few sections are open to tourists, but only with guides and permit (which you shouldn't worry about if going with an established company, as they'll deal with that). Some of the neighbouring regions (e.g. Manu road and associated lodges) are often referred to as Manu, but are actually not within the national park itself - these can be visited alone, though some lodges in the lowlands can be difficult and/or expensive to reach alone, as they typically require a boat. Tambopata really isn't any different - you can't just walk into Tambopata. Most transport is by rivers. If your Spanish is fine, boat-transport can be arranged fairly easily independently, though - at least if alone - you'd be hard pressed to get it cheaper than what the various lodges and tour-companies offer. Tours to both Manu and Tambopata are sold widely in Cusco, while tours to Tambopata also are sold in Puerto Maldonado. However, if not knowing a bit about the lodges they offer beforehand, it can be a bit of a hit-and-miss (as a very rough rule, the further away the lodge is, the more pristine the habitat is... and the higher the price is). For this very reason, none of the lodges found further within lowland Manu and Tambopata are places where you just turn up and get a room; they typically require reservations beforehand (however, most of the lodges have an office in Cusco and/or Puerto Maldonado where you can enquire - many also have web-pages). Additionally, if just taking a random tour sold in Cusco or Puerto Maldonado the chance is you'll end up on a tour with "normal tourists", which couldn't care less about the small antbird you just saw, and certainly won't stop for a second look at it. So, it really depends on you and the time you have available. If missing a day (due to "South American time") isn't too important for your itinerary, and you can utter at least a few phrases in Spanish, things like Manu road and Arequipa (tours to Cañon del Colca are sold in Arequipa, but just getting on a bus is easy, too) are straight forward. Lowland Manu (-region) and Tambopata are a bit more problematic and require a bit more work, but can be done. Another thing to keep in mind is that guides also can be helpful with bird ID's, especially if not already familiar with Neotropical birds. Much Neotropical birding is done by ear, i.e. unless you've been doing a fair deal of practicing before you leave, many species will be missed. Some species (many antbirds, antpittas, tapaculos, etc) are also highly unlikely to be seen without play-back - most guides and Neotropical birders use it at least occasionally, but some won't due to the possible issue of disturbance. Regardless, this is only really an issue in forest areas (Manu Road, Manu, Tambopata, etc), and of no real relevance for most open-country birds (e.g. near Arequipa and Paracas). A bit on Puerto Maldonado, incl. a few lines on Lago Sandoval, can also be found here - written several years ago, but still fairly accurate:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=30692

Regardless, I'd recommend getting a copy of Thomas Valqui's Where to Watch Birds in Peru - a few things have changed since it was published, but overall it's still an excellent resource and certainly a must for any birder even considering doing Peru independently. Of course also the new field guide to Peru, which is far more useful than the old.

Last edited:
Lago Sandaval, near Puerto Maldanado, excellent for giant otter.

Explorers Inn cheapest place in Tampopata - in 2005 you could get a birdwatchers special, or something like that, which basically meant you got somewhere to stay and birded on your own.

Have you considered a pelagic? Well worthit if your trip coincides with one.

Cheers

Thank you for the suggestions...

Here is a quote from the thread you mentionned :

"Manu is also located in this region (although usually visited by plane from Cusco to Boca Manu or a boat from the town of Shintuya - the end of the Manu Road), but it is more expensive and in my opinion no better than Tambopata. The only reason Manu has more species than Tambopata is that Tambopata strictly is in the lowlands, while Manu range far into the highlands. The lodges in Manu are located in the lowlands, meaning that the actual species a birder would see are almost the same you would see in Tambopata. For a good intersection ranging from almost 4000 meters asl to the lowlands I can recommend the Manu Road (doesn't actually enter the reserve - only the buffer zone) - easily done from Cusco in private car or somewhat harder using busses that go all the way to Pilcopata."

So, what I understand is that both places are similar... Manu is more expensive but offers access to the highlands...

Where do you think I have more chances for mammals (monkey, jaguar, ocelot, giant otter, etc.) Tambopata or INSIDE Manu?

Maybe the best solution would be to combine tambopata and limit myself to Manu road...

So, what I understand is that both places are similar... Manu is more expensive but offers access to the highlands...

Well, yes and no. Yes, lowland Manu is quite similar to Tambopata, and if comparing a trip going well into lowland Manu or to Tambopata (in both cases starting and ending in Cusco), Tambopata would generally be cheapest. However, there are a few other things to consider. The start for a Tambopata trip is typically Puerto Maldonado, while some Manu lodges can arrange visits via the end of lowermost towns on Manu Road (e.g. Shintuya). So, if already on Manu Road, you've already gone some of the way (depending on the Manu lodge you're considering), whereas if visiting Tambopata, you pretty much have to go via Puerto Maldonado, which virtually all reach by plane - i.e. you have to add the price of the plane ticket. Additionally, there are major differences between the prices of the various lodges; both in Manu and Tambopata. However, the same very generalized rule applies: The further away from civilization, the more pristine, and the higher the price. This is especially noticeably in larger "gamebirds" (esp. curassows), large macaws, certain large monkeys (though e.g. Cebus spp. can manage quite well even in areas with relatively high hunting pressure) and other large mammals consider fair game.

Where do you think I have more chances for mammals (monkey, jaguar, ocelot, giant otter, etc.) Tambopata or INSIDE Manu?

No major differences. Giant otters are pretty much a matter of asking before going - many more commonly visited lodges (both in Manu & Tambopata) know a lake where a family typically hang out. Monkeys are - for most European, Canadian and US citizens at least - often surprisingly common, with daily sightings not being exceptional, though some larger species (notably wollys and spiders) generally are quite rare, except at the sites furthest away from civilization. Sloths are fairly common, too, but it can obviously be a bit of challenge finding them. The same applies to tamanduas, though generally somewhat rarer. The Giant Anteater is generally very rare in rainforest areas. Jaguars and other cats require luck no matter where you go. Tayras are a bit commoner, but, unlike cats, sometimes remarkably oblivious to your presence (I've had tayras walk right up to me). Coatis are fairly common locally (but by no means guaranteed), and can be a pain in regions where tourists feed them (generally not a major problem in Amazonian Peru... but try visiting Iguazu in Brazil/Argentina). A few lodges have licks commonly visited by tapirs at night - again a matter of asking, and checking out their web-site where typically mentioned. As always, of course, no guarantees can be given.

Last edited:
Very interesting, thanks all for the answers...

So I haven't decided yet between Manu or Tambopata or both... it's a difficult dilemma... I guess I'll have to study... Of course, I would like to get as many bird species as possible, but I would also love to see the mammals...

Could you suggest good birdwatching spots in the cloud forest (I plan to do a trek to Machu Pichu after the lowland part of my trip) around Cusco and Machu Pichu...

Could you also comment on the birdwatching in Canon del Colca and around Puno (since I'll go trekking in this area for the conclusion of my trip).

If anyone has been with Kolibri expeditions, I would like to get some reviews as well.

You can go to Manu and Tambopata, no problem, thus you can see more species and also see mammals.
In the cloud forest are good places near the station Pillahuata, San Pedro (nearby Cock of the Rock Lodge? Asuncion road near, if you have a private car and private guide can make many stops for birding across to the Manu road.

In the trekking in Colca can see interesting birds, different birds you have seen in Cusco, not many but some new species. But it is best to go to Lagunas de Mejia.
Near Lake Titicaca is very good to see birds near Puno there are good places to watch birds near to the Desaguadero road.

Hi

Rasmus summery pretty much sums up what needs to be said. You asked for a review of Kolibri Expeditions - my company, there was some mentioned on earlier thread some years ago - so I don´t have to write the review myself ;-)
You'll find it easily in the same section as this thread
Anyway, there are some new alternatives coming up for Manu. We have started together with local indigenous communities along the Madre de Dios river, who own four different lodges, to run birding tours that are considerably less expensive than the current birding tours to the area.
I am not going into details here, because it would be a long post. I am planning to do a blog regarding this project and could probably send a link to the same within the next couple of days. In short, the idea is to make these lodges into prime birding lodges with trained local indigenous resident bird guides.

Saludos

Gunnar Engblom

Kolibri Expeditions
www.kolibriexpeditions.com

I'll be in Lima next Thursday at the start of a tour to Machu Pichu and the Galapagos. I want to do a few hours bird photography in or around Lima. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Neil.

I'll be in Lima next Thursday at the start of a tour to Machu Pichu and the Galapagos. I want to do a few hours bird photography in or around Lima. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Neil.

Pantanos de Villa:

http://www.birdingperu.com/peru/details.asp?idperu=21

If you have it, see also the site guide by Thomas Valqui for more info on Pantanos de Villa. Before going, it might be worth asking Gunnar Engblom (previous poster; user Birding Peru) or Alejandro Tabini (http://www.birdforum.net/member.php?u=10884) about the current security situation, as there have been issues on-and-off in the last few years (people getting robbed, especially if straying away from the main trail).

Enjoy your trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back