• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama Itinerary Review (1 Viewer)

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, great insights!

I got busy over the past couple of months and left booking guides for the last minute. We're flying to Panama next Saturday, so hopefully it's not too late to find good guides. I'd really appreciate it if you could share your recommendations on where you think it would make a big difference to use the services of a guide, and who you hired and thought was good.

Also, since you've mentioned Birding Paradise, I'd like to answer whether it's worth going there twice for 2 - 4 hours each time. We're planning to stop by the first day on our way from David airport to Cerro Punta, and then on the way from there to Boquete. Do you think it's worth it, or is that a bit excessive?

Again, thanks for your feedback, and feel free to share any other tips you think might help.
You're probably there now and won't see this; sorry I didn't see and reply earlier. Just in case you are checking in, I would definitely hire a guide for Pipeline Rd. I used Jose Perez, he can be reached on WhatsApp +507 6252 6284; really good guide and found most birds on my needs list. Also used BirdingPipelinePanama.com for a day in Cerro Azul and they were wonderful. As you can see from their name, they also do Pipeline. I'd not hesitate to use either one. I don't think you'd need a guide at the Metropolitan Park or Cerro Ancon. I didn't visit Cerro Ancon, but I've heard good things about it. I've also heard you will be in the sun a lot and it gets very hot there with some steep areas to hike, so it's best to go early.

I'd probably just do a day at Birding Paradise, but I'm sure you would enjoy a 2nd day if you chose to return. I'd also recommend using the guide there - Ismael. It's his home and knows where everything is. I've had good luck driving the roads near Playa La Barqueta when leaving or returning to the airport in David as well, if you have extra time on your return to the airport.

Hope you are having a great time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back