• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Independent birding near Cusco (1 Viewer)

Antpitta'd

United Kingdom
Hi all, making another post for my upcoming trip after all the helpful responses to previous threads. I’ve got some free time around Cusco and would love to do some independent birding. I’ve got a Machu Picchu trek planned and then some time going down the Manu road into the lowlands + Madre de dios, but would love to do a bit closer to Cusco / Ollantaytambo.

I’ve got 4 or 5 days, and was vaguely planning on self-driving to Abra Malaga, visiting Huacarpay lake, and Ensifera camp for the hummers. Main question is how easy is it to do Abra Malaga pass and cloud forest, is it a case of just driving up and stopping periodically at the side of the road? Are there any spots anyone can recommend, or anywhere to stay? Any spots for Royal Cinclodes would be fantastic.

Also any recommendations for other spots that I’ve missed near(ish) to Cusco would be great!

Cheers all

Check out Josh Vandermuelen's blog, here's his post about Abra Malaga and Ollantaytambo. If you read through the previous and next blog posts you might find more info on the Cuzco area.
Thanks very much Avery I'll have a read. In my limited experience is seems like people named Josh create a disproportionately high amount of useful neotropical birding material

Users who are viewing this thread

Back