• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

whistling-duck action surprised me. (1 Viewer)

GeeRob

United States
Hello,

I live in Lake County, Florida. I was surprised by a black-bellied whistling-duck behavior in a bad way. I have a pair of adult black-bellied whistling-duck with 2 ducklings that I a see a few times a day for the last couple of weeks. One of the adults quite often sits on my dock (I think it is the male of the pair). I have noticed he often flies directly at other other adult b-b whistling-duck when they land on the dock or in the water near the dock (like in attack mode). My neighbor and I were surprised by this behavior but it is not why I am writing today. Today another b-b whistling-duck showed up with 5 ducklings. The one adult (female) with the two ducklings does not seemed bothered by the mom with 5ducklings. But her male partner does. Multiple times he flew in attack mode directly at the mom with the 5 ducklings. A few of time she chased her for 100 yards. When he separates the mom from her 5 ducklings, he attacks the ducklings. He lands on top of them like he is trying to drown them while trying to peck them. His actions shocked me. The mom with the 5 ducklings does not seem to have a partner. The aggressive male has attacked the mom and 5 ducklings when its partner and her ducklings are more than 75 yards away, and 30 yards of of that is tall cattails. When I stepped out of my porch with my camera to video the attacks the male quits and flies to his partner. There are about 8-10 whistling ducks that arrived midsummer. Since this is the first year we have had whistling ducks we are not familiar with their behavior. Is what the males is doing common to this species?

I don't know how common this is in this species, but killing of the young of unmated females by unmated males is common behavior in many animal species. They do this to secure a mating position with the female. After all, if she no longer has young to care for, she then has to make more. In mammals, cannibalization of the young is quite common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back