• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Which Species Will Be the Next to Breed in the UK? (1 Viewer)

Andy Lakin

I'm not talking necessarily about any of the species predicted to colonise, but rather something that is feasible as a one off. Any chance of a Pallid Harrier pair? If any, what species have only bred once? The Moustached Warbler breeding record from decades back would have been amazing if it hadn't been dismissed as NP after being reviewed.

I'm not talking necessarily about any of the species predicted to colonise, but rather something that is feasible as a one off. Any chance of a Pallid Harrier pair? If any, what species have only bred once? The Moustached Warbler breeding record from decades back would have been amazing if it hadn't been dismissed as NP after being reviewed.
Great Reed Warbler.

John

Pallid Harrier have hybridised before. Moustached Warbler has not, yet, occurred in the U.K.

Pallid Harrier doesn't feel a bad shout, though you'd be fearful for them in some areas including where one male held territory a few years back.

Swinhoe's Petrel? But let's face it we'd probably never know, it may already have happened. Lesser Scaup or Ring-necked Duck maybe.

A long list of one offs in particular if hybridisation is included (eg Citrine Wagtail, Pied-billed Grebe, Black Duck, Lesser Crested Tern, etc). Pallid Harrier is covered by hybridisation as well. Species like Icterine Warbler, Bluethroat, Bee-eater, the herons, etc are well covered but Woodchat Shrike seems possible from the south or maybe Western Subalpine Warbler.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
A long list of one offs in particular if hybridisation is included (eg Citrine Wagtail, Pied-billed Grebe, Black Duck, Lesser Crested Tern, etc). Pallid Harrier is covered by hybridisation as well. Species like Icterine Warbler, Bluethroat, Bee-eater, the herons, etc are well covered but Woodchat Shrike seems possible from the south or maybe Western Subalpine Warbler.

All the best

Paul
Pretty sure Woodchat has at least attempted already but can't remember the exact year.

John

Pretty sure Woodchat has at least attempted already but can't remember the exact year.

John

I recall summering birds and indeed multiple birds within broader areas but not a breeding attempt or two birds present at a site but that may as easily be my memory....

All the best

Paul

Has GG Shrike tried/ successfully bred? Iirc there were rumours from the North East somewhere but people dismissed them as unreliable.

Have pectoral sandpiper bred in Britain - I seem to recall they have in Scandinavia? If they aren't already in the 'only once' category, they're feasible candidates for a future one-off.

Has GG Shrike tried/ successfully bred? Iirc there were rumours from the North East somewhere but people dismissed them as unreliable.

Maybe?

All the best

Paul

Have pectoral sandpiper bred in Britain - I seem to recall they have in Scandinavia? If they aren't already in the 'only once' category, they're feasible candidates for a future one-off.

Apparently:-

All the best

Paul

I recall summering birds and indeed multiple birds within broader areas but not a breeding attempt or two birds present at a site but that may as easily be my memory....

All the best

Paul
I've let my memory churn it around a bit and IIRC the supposed story was that it was in South Hampshire and heavily suppressed (which would have credibility for the area as well as being entirely justifiable for the alleged record).

John

I've let my memory churn it around a bit and IIRC the supposed story was that it was in South Hampshire and heavily suppressed (which would have credibility for the area as well as being entirely justifiable for the alleged record).

John

It has bred historically so I am left with Western Subalpine Warbler.

All the best

Paul

The RBBP list of species they accept records for is very interesting as there are lots of species that they feel are possible future breeders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back