• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Weird freshwater fish, Bempton pond, E Yorkshire, England (1 Viewer)

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
This has completely thrown me. I wondered for a while if it were some sort of terrapin (but a big one) until I saw the dorsal fin. It is a sizeable fish, I would say probably 60 cm in length. It has a long, slim neck and a slim, pointed head with a pale lower jaw, then a strange hump , with a short dorsal fin behind the hump. It's like nothing I've ever seen before.

Thoughts welcome.

Brett

Fish, Bempton pond, E Yorks, 18 Jul 24 (2) - showing dorsal fin.jpgFish, Bempton pond, E Yorks, 18 Jul 24 (4).jpg
Fish, Bempton pond, E Yorks, 18 Jul 24 (2) - showing dorsal fin.jpgFish, Bempton pond, E Yorks, 18 Jul 24 (4).jpgFish, Bempton pond, E Yorks, 18 Jul 24 (5).jpgFish, Bempton pond, E Yorks, 19 Jul 24 (1) - head to left.jpgFish, Bempton pond, E Yorks, 19 Jul 24 (2) - head to right.jpgFish, Bempton pond, E Yorks, 19 Jul 24 (3) - head to left.jpgFish, Bempton pond, E Yorks, 19 Jul 24 (4) - head to left.jpg

I'll be honest Brett, I'm struggling to get any sense of the overall shape of the thing.

Looks to be in shallow water, can you get someone to net it?

Bog standard mirror carp, what you are seeing is the 'humped back' that sometimes appears on some fish. There is a strain called 'Italian' where the fish is almost football shape

Bog standard mirror carp, what you are seeing is the 'humped back' that sometimes appears on some fish. There is a strain called 'Italian' where the fish is almost football shape
I can't see how It's a bog standard anything. If it is swimming in a normal upright position, which I believe it is, then in front of the hump is a long thin neck (if fish can be said to have a neck) and then a slim pointed head. Look at the 4th large image down. The head is to the left. I have watched it for many minutes. I could be misinterpreting things, but I really can't see how. In the 5th image down, where the head is to the right, you can see a pale lower jaw. I will try and get some video of it this afternoon.

I’ve a distant memory of a deformed carp left on the bank of a Salford reservoir (Blackleach) which had a longish neck/head and humped back. It was the site of a demolished chemical factory which an angling mate reckoned accounted for the poor quality of fish caught there. There’s a few malformed looking carp on Google.

Some horrible looking fish there, but nothing like the Bempton fish.
It seems some people just aren't seeing what I see. In the attached image, I have outlined the head end in red to the right of the hump, and marked in red along the top of the folded down dorsal fin to the left of the hump. The water is very murky but I have outlined things as best I can. This is how it constantly appears broadside on. If this is a bog standard anything I'll eat my hat (I have a couple of spares just in case).

Bempton fish.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back