• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

UK mystery feathers (1 Viewer)

Peakrill

England
I found a collection of feathers, which have enough similarities to be likely from the same bird.
The smaller ones were all found in the same location, and the longer wing feathers were 100M+ away, so they may be different, but do still have some similarities in colour and speckling.

The orange/brown is quite dark & deeply coloured - one picture is in direct sunlight to try and represent that.
From the orange colour, I've been thinking it's more likely a Kestrel, but none of the feather sets I've looked at (mostly on 'Featherbase') have the same patterns - most Kestrel feathers seem to be distinctly striped, and with any dark spots just away from the tips. I haven't seen any with the fan-like banding of these, and only some with a hint of speckling.
I understand some bird's plumage may change a fair bit through their lifespan though.

They were in the Derbyshire hills around 350m altitude, mixed grass/moor/woodland hillside.
I've seen Buzzards and Hobbys in that location, but I'm fairly sure it isn't either of those.
For reference, the longest wing feather is 228mm long, which I think might rule out a few smaller species.

Attachments

• IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2882.JPG
    IMG_2882.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back