• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Striated? Swallow, Chongqing, China. Request for opinions on whether this is a Striated Swallow or a Red-rumped Swallow. (1 Viewer)

I note that Identification - Striated Swallow - Cecropis striolata - Birds of the World mentions "C. s. stanfordi has broader streaks on underparts than japonica and a rather conspicuous black thigh patch, but the streaks of C. s. mayri are similarly narrow, and the identification of the latter rests on the presence of a black thigh patch (not always obvious, and occasionally absent), a subtly darker rufous face, and subtle size differences (4, 5)."

My image appears to show what appear to be black thigh patches (but I have not seen any photographic documentation online to corroborate this) which is why I thought the group might be able to comment.

I note that Identification - Striated Swallow - Cecropis striolata - Birds of the World mentions "C. s. stanfordi has broader streaks on underparts than japonica and a rather conspicuous black thigh patch, but the streaks of C. s. mayri are similarly narrow, and the identification of the latter rests on the presence of a black thigh patch (not always obvious, and occasionally absent), a subtly darker rufous face, and subtle size differences (4, 5)."

My image appears to show what appear to be black thigh patches (but I have not seen any photographic documentation online to corroborate this) which is why I thought the group might be able to comment.
Bob, the 'black thigh patches' which you refer to are merely exposed dark feather bases and consequently of no significance. In Striated, when present, the dark patches are in a different position, at the sides of the lower belly ML137603111 - Striated Swallow - Macaulay Library

Grahame

Last edited:
Hello Niels, I found this one which is out of focus but shows a Barn Swallow for size comparison.
Per the drawing in the East Asia book on my shelf, this is more in agreement with Red-rumped due to the extent of rufous around the collar area. However, I am not an expert and someone else might shoot this down.
Niels

Per the drawing in the East Asia book on my shelf, this is more in agreement with Red-rumped due to the extent of rufous around the collar area. However, I am not an expert and someone else might shoot this down.
Niels
Thank you Nils, obviously the most likely taxon for this locality is Red-rumped whereas this is outside of the normal range for Striated. However I have seen a number of Swallows in Chongqing over the years that may be Striated suspects.

The Bird below does seem to resemble my bird pretty closely, but I also am not one of the Swallow cognoscenti and I welcome any further comments. I will also try and obtain better photos of the birds in question.

Thank you Nils, obviously the most likely taxon for this locality is Red-rumped whereas this is outside of the normal range for Striated. However I have seen a number of Swallows in Chongqing over the years that may be Striated suspects.

The Bird below does seem to resemble my bird pretty closely, but I also am not one of the Swallow cognoscenti and I welcome any further comments. I will also try and obtain better photos of the birds in question.
your link does not take me to a specific image, just to the ebird page for the species. To make a specific link, click the lower right corner where it says Macaulay Library ML###### - then take the address of that page.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back