• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Story books or folk tales about Herons? (1 Viewer)

Vermont birder

United States
Greetings! I'm a birder from Vermont and I have a question that I hope isn't too off-topic for this forum...

Our family loves observing herons and we've read how important they are in many folktales and cultures around the world. I am wondering if anyone in this forum might know of an illustrated story book about herons or egrets, that shares wisdom or teachings or a folk tale (rather than a scientific explanation)? I am looking for a book to give as a gift to my nephews to help them learn more about these majestic birds and tales or myths told about them. Does your family have a favorite story book about herons? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hi Vermont birder, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Your question is fine. I would try posting in the following forum:

Greetings! I'm a birder from Vermont and I have a question that I hope isn't too off-topic for this forum...

Our family loves observing herons and we've read how important they are in many folktales and cultures around the world. I am wondering if anyone in this forum might know of an illustrated story book about herons or egrets, that shares wisdom or teachings or a folk tale (rather than a scientific explanation)? I am looking for a book to give as a gift to my nephews to help them learn more about these majestic birds and tales or myths told about them. Does your family have a favorite story book about herons? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Here's a Japanese one about Aosagibi which you may find a bit interesting, in addition to the more famous one about the Boy and the Heron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back