• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shots of birds, taken with your pocket camera (2 Viewers)

I used to take some pictures with a sony cybershot with 3.2 MP and a memory card that was around 24 Mb (not kidding).
3.2 MP is perhaps a bit low, but I prefer low pixel count in pocket cameras. They are less noisy, so images need less processing by the camera. The old pocket camera I'm using now is 12 Mp which is low by today's standard, but in terms of sensor I preferred my previous camera that had 10 Mp (but unfortunately lacked super zoom). Nowadays pocket cameras have 20 Mp, which is insane and gives worse pictures. And resolution in these pocket cameras with super zoom is limited by diffraction anyway, not by the sensor, so I rather have a sensor with lower pixel count and higher dynamic range.

3.2 MP is perhaps a bit low, but I prefer low pixel count in pocket cameras. They are less noisy, so images need less processing by the camera. The old pocket camera I'm using now is 12 Mp which is low by today's standard, but in terms of sensor I preferred my previous camera that had 10 Mp (but unfortunately lacked super zoom). Nowadays pocket cameras have 20 Mp, which is insane and gives worse pictures. And resolution in these pocket cameras with super zoom is limited by diffraction anyway, not by the sensor, so I rather have a sensor with lower pixel count and higher dynamic range.
I remember the cybershot always produced clean shots. But even though it is often said that small sensors have too many pixels, I have also read that the bigger, full frame cameras still benefit from more pixels (e.g. the canon R6 vs. R5), as you can squeeze a bit more detail out of every picture, taken in the same circumstances...

I remember the cybershot always produced clean shots. But even though it is often said that small sensors have too many pixels, I have also read that the bigger, full frame cameras still benefit from more pixels (e.g. the canon R6 vs. R5), as you can squeeze a bit more detail out of every picture, taken in the same circumstances...
Yes that makes sense because 1) they have larger objective lenses and are therefore not limited by diffraction like pocket cameras with super zoon are, and 2) their pixels are larger, so they already have more dynamic range/ less noise and therefore need less noise reduction (=loss of detail) to get decent pictures.

A few more! :D. All photos with Lumix TZ70 pocket camera:

ECU_TitlikeDacnis1.jpg
Tit-like Dacnis, while camping in Cajas NP, Ecuador

ECU_IncaJay1.jpg
Inca Jay hunting for moths in the early morning near San Isidro, Ecuador

ECU_Sunbittern1b.jpg
Sunbittern, Mindo, Ecuador

ECU_EcuadorianHillstar1c.jpg
Ecuadorian Hillstar near my tent, while camping at ~4100m elevation in Cotopaxi NP, Ecuador

CWT_Ptarmigan1.jpg
Ptarmigan while crossing a mountain pass near Glencoul on the Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland

AUS_TawnyCrownedHoneyeater1.jpg
Tawny-crowned Honeyeater encountered on the Bibbulmun Track, South West Australia

AUS_MajorMitchellCockatoo1.jpg
Pink Cockatoo encountered when hiking the Larapinta Trail, Northern Territory, Australia

AZT_GildedFlicker2.jpg
Gilded Flicker on the Arizona National Scenic Trail (Sonora Desert)

PCT_WhiteTailedPtarmigan1.jpg
White-tailed Ptarmigan on the Pinchott Pass, Sierra Nevada, California when hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.

Last edited:
Breaking my own rules as to target group but as there were literally, no, photograpable birds today, barely any birds in fact, here is the first Cleopatra that has given me the chance of a shot, they usually just fly past.

I can't always get quite as close as I'd like when using macro function but I can use the zoom, ever so slightly in that mode which is what I did here.

Attachments

• Cleopatra 2.JPG
    Cleopatra 2.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back