• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Sandpiper - Cape Cod Massachusetts USA (1 Viewer)

1. Rightmost bird may well be western sandpiper: looks rather bigger than the (closer) side-on least sandpiper; bill a bit longer and downturned over a greater length; wings and lower scapulars grey; lower scapulars with appropriate markings.

1. Rightmost bird may well be western sandpiper: looks rather bigger than the (closer) side-on least sandpiper; bill a bit longer and downturned over a greater length; wings and lower scapulars grey; lower scapulars with appropriate markings.
You're probably right, the legs aren't yellow either

Not seeing difference from the other birds, and seeing yellowish legs (but viewing on a phone)
Are you looking at the far right bird in pic 1? The legs look dark to me. Leg color on Least is variable, so I don't think it's possible to rule Least out. I don't really see a difference between the three as far as plumage, except that the far right bird has a duller supercilium. I would like to know if the bird on the right in pic 1 is the same as the bird on the left in pic 2. It appears that way to me. After digging out Kaufman's Advanced Birding, I think all are Least Sandpiper.

If the bird on the right in the first picture was a Western Sandpiper, it would not be so rufous overall, just the upper scapulars. I think it is another juvenile Least Sandpiper with a bill on the long end of the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back