• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Palawan info? (1 Viewer)

Chris D

Probably going to be in and around Port Barton next Christmas for a few weeks. Mostly a coral/shell/ocean trip -- but I'll be looking at birds too. This coming summer will be our 2nd trip to Sabah. I enjoy all things Wallacea. Any adive much appreciated.............Chris

Attachments

• pic2mail copy of IMG_2515dddd.jpg
    pic2mail copy of IMG_2515dddd.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 175
Chris,

We stayed at Port Barton just after New Year 2000 (so pretty old info!). It is not a big place, we rented a bungalow on the beach front and spent a week exploring the forest and snorkling. You can hire boats to take you out to some of the islands off shore to go snorkling, some of which are good and others not. Bird wise we treked into the surrounding forest and saw a nic range of species including some of the endemics.

One word of warning though - in Port Barton don't leave any clothing, shoes or towels drying on your balcony overnight as people from the islands in the bay sometimes run raiding parties and steal clothing etc.. during the night.

all the best,

Mark

Last year my husband and I spent 5 days in Sabang staying at Bambua Lodge and organic farm where we saw several endemics from the front porch. They are a little inland and their farm has a forested area contigous with the park. Also hiking through the underground river National Park (St. Paul's on the map) was very productive. Start early from the caves and hike back to town. Took us 6 hours with lots of stops. Palawan hornbills were seen from the boat on our way into the park headquarters at the caves. Between the two locations, birding lightly we saw 50+ species.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back