• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

One-and-done: Zeiss Conquest HD or wait for new version? (1 Viewer)

hakbijl

United States
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my one-and-done binoculars, budget under $1000.

I was thinking of either the 8x32 or the 8x42 Zeiss Conquest HD. When I looked on B&H to buy them (is that website recommended here, btw?), I saw the 8x32 was discontinued and the 8x42 was heavily discounted. I'd be happy to save the $300, but was also wondering if it'd be recommended to wait for something new to drop (although I do have a trip coming up in a week where I'd like to use them!).

What's the consensus on the 8x32 and 8x42 conquest here? I'm all about comfort and don't think the extra size/weight of the 42 would be a huge downside, but heard the 32 typically has less CA.

Are there any other binos I should be considering? At $700, the conquest seems a lot more attractive to me than e.g. the monarch hg.

Thanks!

8x32 delivers a fantastic view. If I could only keep one binocular tomorrow, this might be it. The 10x42 is also outstanding. That said, I never tried the 8x42.

Hello,

first Welcome to BF.:)

The Conquest 8x32 is IMO a very good binocular, in terms of optical performance it is close to the Zeiss Victory FL 8x32.

I don't know whether Zeiss will continue to develop the HD Conquest series, but a new model could potentially be significantly more expensive.

I think $700 is a very good price for binoculars like this, and I also think the 8x32 Conquest is the best glass from this series.

Andreas

I hope Zeiss offers the new Conquest 42 and 32 together at the same time. Usually they will introduce the 42mm and you have to wait a couple years or so for the 32. Hope they don't discontinue the 32s altogether.

Thanks everyone! That sounds great. I'm a bit surprised at everyone recommending the 8x32 rather than 8x42 - wouldn't the latter be more comfortable for viewing? Or is there that little difference and the FOV makes the 32 win out?

Thanks everyone! That sounds great. I'm a bit surprised at everyone recommending the 8x32 rather than 8x42 - wouldn't the latter be more comfortable for viewing? Or is there that little difference and the FOV makes the 32 win out?
With the 8x42 the field of view is much smaller!
Especially with this format, many people who don't wear eyeglasses also had difficulties with viewing behavior.

Otherwise the 8x42 isn't bad either.

Andreas

I got one of the last from BH. I love the 8x32. Great fov, very good with my glasses so I don't need the eye cup extensions. Very clear bright views. Very little fall off at the edges. At night the stars are pinpoint. The new one might end up being better, but at the discounted price this was my chance at a good Zeiss in my price range. They were on Amazon last time I checked. I suspect there are not many left.

My advice would be, if you have $1000 to spend, spend it, don't try to save money.

At least think about something used, if you know or have access to a reputable dealer. You will get better optics, and let someone else eat the depreciation.

If at all possible, go somewhere you can look through different binoculars in your price range, in order to make a better choice.

You don't say where you are, so we don't have a clue what is available to you.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I would go for this new Zeiss Conquest HD 10x32 for $523.39 with free shipping. Hard to beat for the price. The Zeiss Conquest HD 10x32 are very nice and have a nice big 6.8 degree FOV for 68 degrees AFOV. It would be hard to beat that price with used, even.

Last edited:
Hello,

I was thinking of either the 8x32 or the 8x42 Zeiss Conquest HD. When I looked on B&H to buy them (is that website recommended here, btw?), I saw the 8x32 was discontinued and the 8x42 was heavily discounted. I'd be happy to save the $300, but was also wondering if it'd be recommended to wait for something new to drop (although I do have a trip coming up in a week where I'd like to use them!).

What's the consensus on the 8x32 and 8x42 conquest here? I'm all about comfort and don't think the extra size/weight of the 42 would be a huge downside, but heard the 32 typically has less CA.

Are there any other binos I should be considering? At $700, the conquest seems a lot more attractive to me than e.g. the monarch hg.

Thanks!
8x32 format has 16mm eye relief. If you wear eyeglasses, make sure they fit comfortably. It's best to try them before buying.

I would go for this new Zeiss Conquest HD 10x32 for $523.39 with free shipping. Hard to beat for the price. The Zeiss Conquest HD 10x32 are very nice and have a nice big 6.8 degree FOV for 68 degrees AFOV. It would be hard to beat that price with used, even.

That's a pretty smoking deal. If I didn't already have the 10x42...

I recently was told by a Zeiss rep that a new Conquest was in the works but wasn’t given any details. I suggested that they should manufacture it in Japan instead of Germany to keep costs down, and the rep thought that was a good idea. I looked through the 8x32, 8x42, and 10x42 Conquests and the Kowa Genesis 8x33’s. I liked the Kowas the best out of the binoculars I tried. I’ve seen the Kowas go on sale once or twice a year and might buy a pair. I bought a pair of Conquest 8x32’s on sale a few months back but ended up returning them because I grew tired of fiddling with eye placement; however, they were very clear and bright and well built. I imagine Zeiss will improve the eye cups because it seems to be the major criticism of the Conquests.

I never liked the Kowa Genesis 8x33. It has soft edges and the problem is the fall off is very abrupt so you notice it more versus a gradual fall off. Many Kowas seem to be that way.

I really liked it, and it provide the best view out of the binoculars that I tried. The most expensive binoculars that I tried were the Vortex Razor UHD 8x32’s, and IMHO these should be a priced at 1K. There were plenty of high-priced binoculars there that I didn’t try because they were beyond my budget. If I continue to progress with this hobby and learn more about birding and optics, I might consider spending more for an alpha pair of binoculars. In the meantime I’ll continue to use my humble Opticron Oregons until I decide to upgrade to some 1k binoculars preferably on sale. By the way, I did see the BROD while looking through the Conquests but had to look for it and it was a nonissue for me.

Hello,

Thanks!
The 8x32 is a very good format because of size and capability. That being said for an all around do everything bino, I’d go with an 8x42 format, especially if it’s going to be your first Binocular. It will perform better in low light conditions and give you a few more minutes of observing in early evening and early morning before sunrise ,and can be used for enjoyable night sky observing . Anyone of the $1000 range bins (sales could easily make the difference) like the monarch HG, Kowa Genesis, Leica Trinovid HD, Zeiss conquest or its optical clone in an alpha body the GPO (German precision optics) are all phenomenal Binoculars.

I’d also stay far away from Camera Land, there are very good options with Adaroma and B&H photo and a few others that have good deals, great customer service and good return policies. You could PM me if you’d like further info on that.

Good luck.

The 8x32 is a very good format because of size and capability. That being said for an all around do everything bino, I’d go with an 8x42 format, especially if it’s going to be your first Binocular. It will perform better in low light conditions and give you a few more minutes of observing in early evening and early morning before sunrise ,and can be used for enjoyable night sky observing . Anyone of the $1000 range bins (sales could easily make the difference) like the monarch HG, Kowa Genesis, Leica Trinovid HD, Zeiss conquest or its optical clone in an alpha body the GPO (German precision optics) are all phenomenal Binoculars.

I’d also stay far away from Camera Land, there are very good options with Adaroma and B&H photo and a few others that have good deals, great customer service and good return policies. You could PM me if you’d like further info on that.

Good luck.
That was exactly what I thought when I bought my 8x42 last year! My 8x42 was my very first and only binocular at that time. I thought I would only get one and use one forever! :LOL: Like you said, an all-around do-everything binocular was what I wanted too. I also worried about the eye relief of 8x32 because I wear eyeglasses. I read that other members (One of them was Chuck) said its eye relief wasn't enough for them, so I got the 8x42 despite its field of view. I really like it and it's still my favorite, although I've got something better since then :)

While I still lived in the US of A I bought four Swarovski binos plus a BTX85 with the BR from @gr8fuldoug / CameraLand. The company was a pleasure to deal with and an excellent alternative to the two big NYC stores which seem to always be closed for 'religious' reasons and which have had several court cases against them for employee and even customer discrimination. B&H have settled at least three cases to the tune of millions out of court to avoid litigation and having to admit any wrongdoing. The choice is yours.

B&H seems today a reputable store to deal with as a consumer. Years ago they could be dishonest. In 1989 they sold me a "new" Zeiss Dialyt that I learned (here, decades later) was manufactured in 1982, obviously from another dealer's remainders bought at a discount. A new one would have had phase coatings, this of course did not, as they were obviously counting on my not knowing yet. They're a convenient source of accessories etc but I buy big-ticket items elsewhere now... including CameraLand.

By the way Conquest HDX has just been announced, and there is no mention of any improvement to the actual optics. A good deal on an HD sounds worth taking.

(Edit: Apparently HDX now has a field flattener, how good remains to be seen. It could be worth seeing before picking up a closeout HD. Oddly, this is not mentioned in Zeiss's HD vs HDX comparison table.)

Last edited:
B&H seems today a reputable store to deal with as a consumer. Years ago they could be dishonest. In 1989 they sold me a "new" Zeiss Dialyt that I learned (here, decades later) was manufactured in 1982, obviously from another dealer's remainders bought at a discount. A new one would have had phase coatings, this of course did not, as they were obviously counting on my not knowing yet. They're a convenient source of accessories etc but I buy big-ticket items elsewhere now... including CameraLand.

By the way Conquest HDX has just been announced, and there is no mention of any improvement to the actual optics. A good deal on an HD sounds worth taking.
No, it says they have edge-to edge sharpness, which probably means flat field. That alone would be worth the upgrade IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back