• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Northern Cardinal (3 Viewers)

LadyMarilyn

England
I heard an unusual bird call this evening and used the Merlin bird app to identify what it was. According to the app it was a Northern Cardinal which I had not heard of before. I did not see the bird as it was in a dense shrub but if I had known how beautiful it is I would have tried to find it and take a photo. This was at Brookfield Park in Nantwich, Cheshire

Welcome to the forum.

If you heard this bird in Cheshire it is unlikely that it was a Northern Cardinal. They are native to North America. There have been a few reported in Europe, but they are presumed to be escapees.

Perhaps you are not allowing the Merlin app to access your location? This would reduce the number of birds for Merlin to choose from. You can also set your location by picking "Explore" and then picking the filter and setting your location.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It's unlikely to be a Northern Cardinal in Cheshire. As has been suggested, ensure that Merlin is set to your location. Even with that, it sometimes makes mistakes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back