• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nitrogen fill, how long (1 Viewer)

The rate of nitrogen diffusion from nitrogen-filled binoculars depends on various factors like temperature, pressure, and the permeability of the materials used. In general, nitrogen-filled binoculars are designed to maintain their nitrogen content for a number of years, typically without noticeable diffusion (air contains roughly 78% of nitrogen, so the partial gas pressure difference - the „urge“ of the nitrogen to get out - is quite modest). However, over an extended period, some diffusion will occur, but it's hard to say how long the diffusion is negligible for practical purposes.

Last edited:
It's an interesting question. I had never really thought about that.
Btw: the problem isn't nitrogen moving out but water vapour moving in. The reason binoculars are filled with nitrogen is not because you need nitrogen but because it is a way to ensure during production that no water vapour gets locked in that can cause condensation from the inside.

Is that so?

Not really. Nitrogen is used because air would deposit water molecules on surfaces at sudden temperature changes. Since it is physically impossible to create a vacuum inside a bino barrel, Steiner in the '70s came up with the idea of replacing the air with nitrogen at slight pressure. What first was only intended for the military had by the '90s become de facto standard on the top tier binos.
Nitrogen keeps the inside dry, it prevents fungus growth and it is pretty unreactive. AND the tight seals needed to keep the nitrogen in, also keep water out.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that someone was using argon, and making a big deal out of it.

Seems silly, since nitrogen is so easy to come by.

I had a brand new Chinese waterproof binocular with extensive fungus in one tube.
Straight out of the box.

Regards,
B.
If a fungus spore was present on the inside, it would likely grow no matter what - at least some of them needs nothing except something to live from but does not need oxygen. I at one time saw a can be opened, the sealed glass bottle inside being opened, and the content which was one of the strongest cell toxins around, was overgrown by a fungus.
Niels

If a fungus spore was present on the inside, it would likely grow no matter what - at least some of them needs nothing except something to live from but does not need oxygen. I at one time saw a can be opened, the sealed glass bottle inside being opened, and the content which was one of the strongest cell toxins around, was overgrown by a fungus.
Niels
What on earth was the occasion? A Porton Down festival?

Over the years I have had only 2 binoculars that had problems inside. One was a Swarovski 8x56 SL that
fogged up. The other was a Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV, that had some fungus growing. Both were serviced
by Swarovski with no charge, much to my satisfaction.
That is my experience over well over 30 years, with at least 100 binoculars, both sealed and unsealed.
Jerry

Dry nitrogen (water vapor removed) and argon both are inexpensive and widely available. My physics laboratory has both plumbed and available for the vacuum equipment depending on experimental needs. Water vapor is a bad element to deal with when coming up to atmospheric pressure, and pumping down, on low-pressure experiments. Dry nitrogen is pretty inert chemically for a lot of applications, argon more so. Either has worked fine in terms of exposed optics over decades in my experimental work.

I don't use dry nitrogen in car tires for street driving.

Reports of nitrogen filling/sealing failing certainly seem scarce here.

At Captain’s Nautical, I had a setup to purge and fill binos with dry nitrogen. However, some people didn’t want the cost required to do the work. Knowing about the binos used in the Alaskan fishing fleet and local military, I decided to stop offering the service. In the next ten years or so after curtailing it, not one instrument was returned because it “leaked.” If a binocular is sealed ... it is sealed! Thus, you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back