• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

New from Montana (1 Viewer)

Asterzing

United States
Hello! I don’t know much about birds, but am getting more and more interested just with the sightings in my backyard. I heard this bird yesterday, before I saw it, more than 40 feet up in a tree. Isn’t this a California quail? I’m confused given the height at which it’s perched, and I live in Montana in a residential area. Am I wrong?

Thanks- this is the best pic i could get

Attachments

• Resized_20240620_102020_1719060231370.jpeg
    Resized_20240620_102020_1719060231370.jpeg
    943.7 KB · Views: 36
Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you soon, or you could post in the ID board, giving time and location.

Hi Asterzing and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the ID forum, as they're better placed to be able to help you.

It is certainly a quail, whether a California, I'm not sure.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome from little sky country, Maine. As for your quail, like so many others from CA, destiny seems to be manifesting Eastward!

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Certainly a California Quail. It is a bit unusual to see one that high up in a tree, but it does happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back