• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Never seen a duckling like this before (1 Viewer)

tch314

United States
I recently had 4 ducklings suddenly appear in my covered pool. (The female Mallard had a hidden nest in my backyard bushes). They're probably less than a week old. All the ducklings are doing well- swimming, eating, preening, etc- but I noticed that one of them had 2 lumps on the front of its head. He seems normal in every way except that he doesn't dive like his other siblings. I don't notice any balance issues so I don't know if he has any neurological problems. I did some searching on the internet and found out about crested ducks- but this guy doesn't have any fluff on the lumps- just 2 large, bare, pinkish bumps. They're also located in the brow area- not the top or back of its head. I'm worried about the little guy and want to give him the best chance at survival. Can anyone tell me what this is and what, if anything, i can do for him? They're wild ducks btw- not pets. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240602_154255.jpg
    20240602_154255.jpg
    979.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240602_154253.jpg
    20240602_154253.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back