• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Need help (1 Viewer)

Mouette rieuse

England
Hi
I am fairly new to bird watching.
This came in my garden this morning and was with me for about 10 minutes. Could someone let me know what it is ? Sorry about the photo quality.
Thank you 1000003647.jpg

Hi, and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

I’m moving this to the ID forum where you will get more responses.

Hi Mouette and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Yes, it's a Blackbird, as Alexander says, probably a juvenile and I think maybe a male, as he seems to have some very dark feathers in the wings, which are the first to change.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to BF. I'm assuming this is somewhere in Europe (UK?), as it's important always to know the location for an ID query.
some very dark feathers in the wings, which are the first to change
black retrices coming through
Actually it's the other way round... in that, after fledging, the flight-feathers and tail aren't moulted until autumn of the following year - so those feathers are adult(ish) colour from the outset, and juveniles can be sexed on that basis. Thus, here, because of the contrastingly-darker flight-feathers and tail (and date), this blackbird is a fresh (unmoulted) juvenile male.

Welcome to BF. I'm assuming this is somewhere in Europe (UK?), as it's important always to know the location for an ID query.

Actually it's the other way round... in that, after fledging, the flight-feathers and tail aren't moulted until autumn of the following year - so those feathers are adult(ish) colour from the outset, and juveniles can be sexed on that basis. Thus, here, because of the contrastingly-darker flight-feathers and tail (and date), this blackbird is a fresh (unmoulted) juvenile male.
Thank you so much, Butty! The photo was taken in the UK. I hope to see him again around the garden 🐦

Users who are viewing this thread

Back