• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Avon Avians

United States
Hello, folks!

What are some of the fastest growing native trees and shrubs for reforesting open patches?
Are there any shrubs or small trees that reach a mature size in a short time?

My goal is to provide (or enrich) the habitat for birds that prefer to spend their time high off the ground, such as chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, kinglets, warblers, and woodpeckers.

I've heard that ninebark shrubs mature fast. Are there any other examples of prolific or rapid-growing shrubs/small trees that will provide dense cover for birds in a short time? I'm in zone 4, although some zone 5 plants can survive around here. I'm aware that the growing season is short in this climate, and that only a few plants grow prolifically here.

Thanks. God bless!

It depends in part on where you live. Blue Hopseed is a great bird plant and it grows to 12 feet in height in less than 3 years and no water needed after the first year. Another great tree is the Pacific Myrtle which is very fast growing. Pine species grow fast and are important habitat for a number of bird species but need to be in a squirrel free area to not become stunted from the rodents eating the crown tips.

With shrubs it is important to consider the amount of available light. Most are fine with 3-5 hours of direct sun each day but if less than that the growth will be much slower. I plant ceanothus and there are 200 plus species and some are OK in shade and some are deer resistant and one needs to match the plants to the location or you will be wasting your time and money.

In zone 4 there is still some variation in locations depending on elevation and overall sun exposure. Where I live a difference of 20 feet in elevation makes a difference in frost and plant survival.

I like to see which plants are thriving in areas with no supplemental irrigation and in the "wild". This includes "pioneer" species like willows and aspen. If there is a local native plant chapter I would contact them as well for advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back