• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Lamprolaima rhami (1 Viewer)

I looked for a discussion of the name rhami here but did not find one, so here goes:

In BOW and in Jobling's book the name is attributed to "Henri-Casimir de Rham (1785 - 1873) Swiss diplomat in United States, founder (1832) of the Swiss Benevolent Society in New York, businesssman, naturalist and collector."

Recently I was very fortunate to acquire a copy of one of the rarest books in the 19th century ornithological literature - A Description of Sixteen New Species of North American Birds, Described in the Annals of the New York Lyceum of Natural History, Collected in Texas, 1838 by J. P. Giraud, published in 1841. In the book Giraud names a bird new to him as Musciapa derhamii (Slate-throated Redstart, Myioborus miniatus Swainson 1827.) He gives one line of explanation of his dedication - "This species I have named in memory of the lamented Cassimere H. Derham" (sic; he mangled the name.) Clearly Jobling's de Rham was not lamented in 1841 since he lived 30+ more years.

This particular copy had been in the de Rham family until it came to me, and it is accompanied by a presentation letter from Giraud to one of H.C. de Rham's sons, and the letter helps explain the confusion:

"Charles De Rham Esq.

Dear Sir,

The laudable exertion made by your deceased brother, for the advancement of this interesting branch of Natural History, has induced me to dedicate to his memory, a new species of Muscicapa.

Respectfully
JP Giraud.
Oct. 30th /41″.

So there was another H. C. de Rham, son of the first, who died young prior to 1841, and it was to him that the 'Musicapa' was dedicated. This made me wonder about the Lamprolaima, and on looking up Lesson's OD from 1839 in the Revue Zoologique I find:

"Dedicatus est dom. De Rham fils Americano..." Now I am not knowledgeable enough about Latin to know whether the reading should be "Dedicated to Mr. De Rham's American son" or "Dedicated to Mr. De Rham the younger, an American" but either way it seems that the son is the dedicatee, not the father.

Witmer Stone wrote a profile of Giraud in the Auk for 1919, and his only comment on the name was that de Rham was a member of the New York Lyceum of Natural History. In looking at the Annals of that organization, volume 5 (1852) I find the name listed as elected to membership in 1836 and marked deceased. So clearly the younger H.C. was the naturalist of the family.

I cannot find much more, if anything, on the younger H.C. except a reference that he died aged 22 in 1840 which I have not been able to verify. Perhaps those more skilled than me at this research can find out something about him, and particularly about the 'laudable exertion' he made in ornithology before (apparently) dying at the age of 22.

Fantastic first post!! Welcome

Henry Casimir De Rham, Jr. (1817-1840)
Birth 1817 New York
Death 9 May 1840 Charleston, Charleston County, South Carolina, USA

Source: Albany Argus (Albany, New York) Page: 3 for Tuesday, May 19, 1840
At Charleston, on the 9th inst., after a short illness, in the 23rd year of his age, Henry Casimir De Rham, Jun., eldest son of Henry C. De Rham of New York.
If you search online with these dates there is good evidence that he is our man. His "cabinet" was given to the State Cabinet of Natural History and is still in the NY State Museum.

Father Henry Casimir De Rham (1785-1873)
Mother Maria Theresa Moore (1784-1855)
Brother Charles David De Rham 1822–1909
[Birth 20 OCT 1822 • New York
Death 28 FEB 1909 • Manhattan, New York, New York, USA]

Note also that Charles had a son Henry Casimir De Rham (1855-1916) and that a direct descendent still living is Henry Casimir De Rham III

Last edited:
'Omnia volatilia caeli', as a 'New member', welcome to the Bird Name Etymology subforum/section ...

And, what an entrance! (y)

Thank you for enlighten us.

Last edited:
For everyone else, less fortunate (who doesn't have a copy of their own) ... ;)

BHL (Biodiversity Heritage Library) has a copy of Giraud's rare Book (of 1841), in which we find "DERHAM’S FLY CATCHER MUSCICAPA DERHAMII" (here), and note the added 'hyphens' in their copy. Also note the scribbled text on the Title page: "(See Auk, 1921, 315: only 50 copies printed)", which is a reference to The Auk Vol. 38 (No.2, April-June), pp.314-315 (here).

And, simply for completeness sake ...
• the Garnet-throated Hummingbird Lamprolaima rhami LESSON 1839 (here), as "O. [Ornismya] Rhami"

/B

Last edited:
Welcome, All The Birds Of The Air,
What an entrance indeed! I have corrected The Key, but if you can give me your name (here or private message) I can edit "Anon."

So there was another H. C. de Rham, son of the first, who died young prior to 1841, and it was to him that the 'Musicapa' was dedicated. This made me wonder about the Lamprolaima, and on looking up Lesson's OD from 1839 in the Revue Zoologique I find:

"Dedicatus est dom. De Rham fils Americano..." Now I am not knowledgeable enough about Latin to know whether the reading should be "Dedicated to Mr. De Rham's American son" or "Dedicated to Mr. De Rham the younger, an American" but either way it seems that the son is the dedicatee, not the father.

More likely your second translation.
"De Rham fils" would be an equivalent to "De Rham Jr." in French, and feels a bit odd in a Latin sentence -- "fil." or "filio" would be more expected. (But Lesson rarely used Latin, and I guess this word might conceivably have been retained unmodified from an original French draft wording.)
I grew a bit curious about any word that might possibly follow your quote -- but I was unable to locate this dedication. Would it be possible for you to retrieve the exact source ? So far as I can find, the OD of the species is in Revue Zoologique, 2: 13-14 (v.2(1839) - Revue zoologique - Biodiversity Heritage Library), but the text there is in French, and the only thing we learn there about "M. de Rham" is that he was from New York and had, at some earlier point, sent a figure and description of the bird to Lesson, based on specimens obtained by Delattre.

I assume this is a scan of the letter :

I grew a bit curious about any word that might possibly follow your quote -- but I was unable to locate this dedication. Would it be possible for you to retrieve the exact source ? So far as I can find, the OD of the species is in Revue Zoologique, 2: 13-14 (v.2(1839) - Revue zoologique - Biodiversity Heritage Library), but the text there is in French, and the only thing we learn there about "M. de Rham" is that he was from New York and had, at some earlier point, sent a figure and description of the bird to Lesson, based on specimens obtained by Delattre

Answering my own question:
The actual OD appeared (as per Björn's post #4) in Rev. Zool. 1: 315, 1838 - Revue zoologique - Biodiversity Heritage Library.
(This is the "Dec 1838" issue of the journal, but it demonstrably appeared after 31 Jan 1839, as it includes a report covering a séance of the Académie on this date, see p. 311.)

EDIT -- Mmh. The "Dec 1838" issue of Rev. Zool. demonstrably appeared after 31 Dec 1838, actually. The séance covered by the report on p. 311 is described in the Comptes Rendus : t.7 (1838) - Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences - Biodiversity Heritage Library . It is referred to as "Séance du 31 janvier" in Rev. Zool., but the Académie did not meet on 31 Jan 1839 -- this is quite clearly a typo.

Last edited:
More likely your second translation.
"De Rham fils" would be an equivalent to "De Rham Jr." in French, and feels a bit odd in a Latin sentence -- "fil." or "filio" would be more expected. (But Lesson rarely used Latin, and I guess this word might conceivably have been retained unmodified from an original French draft wording.)
I grew a bit curious about any word that might possibly follow your quote -- but I was unable to locate this dedication. Would it be possible for you to retrieve the exact source ? So far as I can find, the OD of the species is in Revue Zoologique, 2: 13-14 (v.2(1839) - Revue zoologique - Biodiversity Heritage Library), but the text there is in French, and the only thing we learn there about "M. de Rham" is that he was from New York and had, at some earlier point, sent a figure and description of the bird to Lesson, based on specimens obtained by Delattre.

I assume this is a scan of the letter :
To me the mystery was how Lesson came to name a bird for a ~20 year old New Yorker, and Laurent has solved it with this reference in the Revue Zoologique 1839. (It was less surprising that Giraud would name a bird for him, as they were both New Yorkers who would have traveled in the same circles, but how Lesson knew him I could not guess.)

The Latin dedication was in the 1838 volume of the Revue Zoologique (though apparently it was published in 1839):
O. Rhami Lesson 1839

And yes indeed that's a scan of the letter.

So far as I can find, the OD of the species is in Revue Zoologique, 2: 13-14 (v.2(1839) - Revue zoologique - Biodiversity Heritage Library), but the text there is in French, and the only thing we learn there about "M. de Rham" is that he was from New York and had, at some earlier point, sent a figure and description of the bird to Lesson, based on specimens obtained by Delattre.
It would be interesting if the figure and the MSS of de Rham still exists. Maybe somewhere here https://mediatheques.agglo-rochefortocean.fr/ ? As well how de Rham and Delattre are conneted? Sure both Delattre brothers travelled in the US. But which of the brothers (I assume Adolphe) gave the specimen to de Rham?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back