• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Juv Chinese Egret?China (1 Viewer)

xuky.summer

We photographed a new Egret breeding site today with a UAV, and one of the chicks was distinctive, its bill is mostly yellow, and its claws were bright yellow, which seems to rule out the great egret and the middle egret. I've been looking online about juv cattle egrets, and none of them have yellow claws, so maybe that can be ruled out? So the only thing left is a Chinese Egret egret? Chinese Egret breed in my city, mostly on islands, and a few on land, along with other Egret. The problem is I don't know if the bill of little egret can show a similar color, and its claws look different from the yellow-billed egret chicks we've photographed before. There are adult Chinese Egrets in the vicinity, and this breeding ground has little egrets, great egrets and cattle egrets breeding, and possibly other herons.
1 2 3 is the individual in question, a screenshot from the video. The last few pictures we took were of Chinese egret chicks, which bill is yellow at very young, then it gets dark, then it gets yellow.

Thank you very much!
xuky

Attachments

• 捕获1.JPG
    捕获1.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 捕获2.JPG
    捕获2.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 捕获3.JPG
    捕获3.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 微信图片_20240521204840.jpg
    15.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 微信图片_20240521204912.jpg
    微信图片_20240521204912.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 微信图片_20240521210835.png
    微信图片_20240521210835.png
    8.4 MB · Views: 27
As no-one else has commented I'll say something to get a discussion going. For photos 1 2 3, I think Little Egret is a possibility and statistically more likely than Chinese Egret but I'm not familiar with Chinese Egret in the field let alone juveniles so I cannot rule it out. Perhaps there's something that rules out Little Egret but I don't see it - did you have any thoughts on this? Little Egrets also begin with a yellow bill which darkens as they get older, also they have yellow feet, yellow/greenish legs at first (seems plausible from photos). Perhaps this individual is just younger than the other Little Egrets. As you say, Chinese Egret tends to breed on islands but inland breeding is known and perhaps overlooked so seems right to query different looking individuals. Hopefully someone can say something more definitive.

Little Egrets also begin with a yellow bill which darkens as they get older
Thank you for your reply, but I haven't seen Little Egrets with yellow bill online. Do you have any information on this? The breeding ground is actually a small island, just very close to the land

Here are two juveniles with yellow beaks squabbling, and here is another with some yellow on the beak but beginning to darken. If it's on a coastal island then it probably improves the chances of Chinese Egret. But I don't think I could rule out one or the other based on my limited knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back