• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

ID Help - UK Gloucester (Slimbridge) (1 Viewer)

SusieRuss

Hi there,
I'm not experienced with British birds and was hoping someone could ID these two. The first I am guessing is a Willow Warbler. The second is a terrible photo (from a long distance) of a shorebird that seemed roughly the size of a lapwing. These were taken on July 28.
TIA!

Attachments

• 2L5A8681.1.jpg
    2L5A8681.1.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 2L5A8755.1.jpg
    2L5A8755.1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 59
Out of curiosity any tips for separating Black and Bar-tailed without seeing the tail?
Bar-Tailed Godwit is shorter-legged and shorter-billed (but females have longer bills than males). The bill is up-curved, while the Black-tailed Godwit's bill is rather straight.

During breeding season males have red undersides (darker than Black-Tailed Godwits) while females don't have red at all and their breast is streaked. Additionally, the bill is (almost) completely black (Black-Tailed Godwits have orange bills with a black tip).

During non-breeding season, the uppersides are streaked, while Black-Tailed Godwits' uppersides are rather plain. Both godwits have bicoloured bills during non-breeding season (pink base, black tip).

Hope that helped :)

Last edited:
Bar-Tailed Godwit is shorter-legged and shorter-billed (but females have longer bills than males). The bill is up-curved, while the Black-tailed Godwit's bill is rather straight.

During breeding season males have red undersides (darker than Black-Tailed Godwits) while females don't have red at all and their breast is streaked. Additionally, the bill is (almost) completely black (Black-Tailed Godwits have orange bills with a black tip).

During non-breeding season, the uppersides are streaked, while Black-Tailed Godwits' uppersides are rather plain. Both godwits have bicoloured bills during non-breeding season (pink base, black tip).

Hope that helped :)
Thanks! I'm prepping for a visit to Slimbridge next May and using the eBird photo quizzes. Everytime a Godwit shows up I'm left scratching my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back