• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Help with Hummingbird ID (1 Viewer)

Suggest female or immature male rufous. Allen's is very similar but a) unlikely where you are and b) I see no evidence of that species' orange "eyebrow"

Thank you very much!!! I guess calliope can't be... a thin white line above gape can be sensed, maybe too small. Just to learn :giggle:

I assume these two are rufous as well.

Attachments

• DSC09092__.jpg
    DSC09092__.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • DSC09229__.jpg
    DSC09229__.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Yes, the tail is longer but only marginally so. In Rufous/Allen's it is usually a bit longer than shown by this bird. The very evenly spotted throat is quite typical of Calliope. I certainly do not know for sure which species it is, but do not think Calliope is safely eliminated.

Thank you all for your opinion. I guess it is not easy to determine what species it is. I have another photo of the bird from the original photo. I don't think it doesn't add much extra information, but just in case. Here the tail looks shorter than the wings...

Attachments

• DSC09826_.jpg
    DSC09826_.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
Thank you all for your opinion. I guess it is not easy to determine what species it is. I have another photo of the bird from the original photo. I don't think it doesn't add much extra information, but just in case. Here the tail looks shorter than the wings...
Had another look at this. I now think it's calliope. I think rufous would have more, well, rufous—esp on the head. They seem to have some orangey tones scattered through the green which we don't see here. Probably the flanks would be a bit more vibrant too.

[in this last picture the tail is still longer than the wings—the tail has a white tip]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back