• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Grebe's Feet? (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
I saw recently in a bird book that Grebe's feet are so adapted to water that they can't walk on land.
Although I have seen lots of Great Crested Grebes, I have never actually seen a Grebe on land.
So what does a Grebe's foot look like?
Alan
[I am sure someone in BF can find a picture in about 10 minutes!]

Grebes have lobed feet. What makes them and loons unusual is that the legs are positioned toward the back of their body. The placement of the legs makes them fall forward on their chest when they crash land on puddles mistaken for small pools of water. They are unable to take off again without a watery runway and therefore grounded until they are placed in water. I saw the picture of the crested grebe standing on the ground; our North American grebes don't usually stand, they will paddle themselves to shore and paddle/scooch back out.

PS. Check the feet on the Diver. Those honkers should be pretty impressive.

Grebes have lobed feet. What makes them and loons unusual is that the legs are positioned toward the back of their body. The placement of the legs makes them fall forward on their chest when they crash land on puddles mistaken for small pools of water. They are unable to take off again without a watery runway and therefore grounded until they are placed in water. I saw the picture of the crested grebe standing on the ground; our North American grebes don't usually stand, they will paddle themselves to shore and paddle/scooch back out.

Hi ayasuda

Grebes have lobed feet. :t:

I will have a look at the Diver's feet if a chance ever occurs. Never seen one on dry land, always on water.

So that explain's why now.

Thank you for your information. It is very interesting and informative. :t:

:-O

Peewit

This North American Western Grebe apparently could keep its balance, despite having such ridiculously placed legs.

http://www.jeffrichphoto.com/western grebe bringing algae to nest.jpg

The latin general name for the Great Crested Grebe is podiceps which translates approximately to its Old English name of arse-foot.

LOL!!

The things that we find out!!. I can see why such as name comes to mind.

Grebes feet are not their most attractive, redeeming feature. :eek!:

Peewit

Grebes feet are very thin-looking seen from upfront. The ( very nice ) pictures show the lobed feet from the side.
If a grebe paddles its feet show a beautiful adaptation; when stretched backwards the lobes spread, pushing away the water and giving the bird speed, when stretched forward the lobes flatten making the leg very thin so there's minimal resistance in the water, meant to maintain speed. The streamlined body and the far backward placed legs allow the bird to be very fast under water, to catch fish.

Greetings, Ronald

That's great bittertwisted, I'll pass that one along to my friends. :-O

PS. Peewit, grebes have the most bizarre, but pretty feet. You'll appreciate them up close.

That's great bittertwisted, I'll pass that one along to my friends. :-O

PS. Peewit, grebes have the most bizarre, but pretty feet. You'll appreciate them up close.

Ronald: Thank you for the insight into the reason why Grebes have the type of feet they do. Great information to retain in one's mind. :t:

ayasda: Love to see them up very close, to satisfy my curiosity now. ;)

Peewit

Well thanks for all the replies. I was not expecting to start such a lengthy discussion.
I will keep watching Grebes to see if I can spot a foot!
Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back