• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Goa - Baga Hill (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Hi,

after being teased at the prospect of Tim Allwood's report from the north east of India the prospect of Blackpool on the Arabian Sea might seem a bit tame - but the birdings still great!!

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody out there had any info regarding access to Baga hill.

cheers
Gordon

There are a couple of routes up Baga Hill. Approaching from Arpora - continue past the Marinha Dourada hotel for a couple of hundred metres and look for a set of concrete chairs on your left, where Baga creek takes a 90 degree turn inland. Immediately opposite is an obvious red dirt track which will take you to the top of the hill. The other option is to continue on, past the recently demolished bridge over the creek and take a path up the hill behind Hilda's Beauty Parlour.
There is a great deal of development taking place on the hill now which makes for rather depressing birding but there are still good birds to be had, notably Red Spurfowl. For an altogether more enjoyable woodland walk i would suggest trying nearby Arpora Forest, although this tends to be very popular with visiting birders.

cheers

Stuart

Thanks for getting back to me on this Stuart.

I've been to Baga before - last time Feb/March 2005. At that time they were cutting a track uo the hill and attempts had been made at fencing -off some of the top of the hill. However, it had made little difference to the overall habitat but I'd heard lots of rumours about the ongoing "development" but nobody said exactly to what extent - hence the query. From what you say it sounds quite bad but I dare say we'll have a look around but probably concentrate on Arpora.

thanks again
Gordon

I wasn't in Goa this winter but from what i've heard even more hotels have sprung up on Baga Hill and there is a rumour that plans are afoot to build a road from Baga through the hill to Anjuna. Certainly the old bridge has been demolished to make way for a more substantial one.

Thanks for your input Stuart.

It'll be quite job to build a road to Anjuna! I've picked up a sense that Goan's are getting to the stage when continuing "developments" are less than welcome - at least in south Goa. I think the feeling is that Goa gets all costs of development without seeing a proportionate level of the benefits - ie, the real profits go to people/companies from outwith Goa.

I suppose, in a sense, if developments have to go ahead Calangute/Baga is the place for them - even if a good birding area feels the impact (although, obviously I'd prefer if it didn't). I think that, at least in these circumstances, European (Brits in particular) probably aren't responsible for creating the demand. I can't remember the figures but I saw somewhere recently that European visitor numbers have decreased in recent years while Indian tourist numbers have exploded.

I hope that when we get there in November there are still some birding opportunities around Baga Hill but, as you say, Arpora Wood is still intact - and just about on the doorstep - we're "treating" ourselves and staying at the Marinha Dourada.

cheers again
Gordon

I think that many Goans are now regretting selling their land quite so readily for development. North of the River Chapora much of the land has been purchased with Russian money and this has had quite an effect on the locals in, for instance, the Morji area. I heard recently that the Goan government have started to investigate a number of purchases with a view to stamping out money laundering and as a result a number of foreigners have had to relinquish their land. Quite how true this is remains to be seen.
Despite the relentless surge in tourism, birding still remains largely unaffected, at least in the north of the state. Drive inland and look at the devastation caused by open cast iron ore mining and things are a lttle different.
On a lighter note, the Marinha Dourada is a very pleasant place to stay (far nicer than the Beira Mar) and there are plenty of under-explored sites within a 10km radius. I spent four winters based near Baga so if you require any info on new sites or particular species please feel free to get in touch

cheers

Stuart

Thanks for that Stuart - I may well get back you in due course. We're doing the Backwoods trip again but apart from haven't firmed up other itineries.

We will, of course, "do" Baga fields, Arpora,Carambolim and Charao Island. Last time we never got Maem lake. We would also hope to go to Dona Paula and get to Morjim again. The last time we went to Morjim we got the tide wrong and, due to disturbance from people walkimg the beach didn't really get a proper chance to have a good look at the gulls - we need a LOT of practice on the gulls (and terns). Despite that we had reasonably good views of a variety of waders including both Sandplovers - helped by an organised group that arrived just as we were about to leave.

I've also heard about allegations of Russian "mafia" activities including money laundering. Some people (not Goans) suggested it was merely the jealously of Indian business people who were no longer having things their own way. Also, there were suggestions it was some form of racism directed against the growing numbers of Russians going to Goa - a number of whom pointed out that it was ridiculous to assume that all Russians, or even a majority, were in any way involved with the "mafia". They (the Russians) pointed out the there ae now many "ordinary" Russians with considerable disposable income who, like other nationalities, like to holiday in places like Goa.

But, as you say, it remains to be seen what the outcome might be!

cheers again
Gordon

backwoods

forgive my ignorance, but what is the 'backwoods' trip in goa as i'm here now and also could anyone recomend any guest houses nearer the western ghats, so i don't have to travel from the coast, many thanks

Hello Andy.

Backwoods is this : http://www.backwoodsbirding.com (site down at the moment).
Try these: “Our stay at the Backwoods Camp was pre-booked well in advance over the internet. The price for a four day/three night visit was 7.500 Rupies per person, including transports to and from our hotel, accommodation, all meals and guiding. Everything, from our first request via e-mail, to the final payment was handled very professionally by the Backwoods staff. The visit was a great experience and definitely the ornithological highlight of the trip. To go there is almost a must if you are visiting the area – strongly recommended! For info, see www.backwoodsbirding.com Contacts: Loven Pereira, phone +91 982 214 4939 or Pramod Madkaikar, phone +91 982 238 7434, mail: [email protected]” (from a trip report).
I’ve been there and can definitely recommend it as a fantastic forest experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back