• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Gijs' new test: Compact binoculars suitable for children (1 Viewer)

Interesting compilation of small binoculars.

While I appreciate Gjis' efforts and his tests in general, I don't think this one is particularly useful to answer the question which binoculars are the best ones for kids.

If you want to properly test kids binoculars, you should have some kids involved in the testing, rather than having top notch transmission measurements.
The suggestion of the GPO as top 2 choice among the collection fails to take into account minimum IPD as an important criteria for kids: with 56 mm the GPO is one of the worst here, and this will make it unusable for many kids.

Still the collection of a number of small bins and the spec sheets is certainly useful. I would include a few other candidates as well, like the Pentax Papillo, and one or two 8x30 choices. Although I believe Porros are not particular suited for the small hands of kids, would still be useful to include e.g. a small Kowa for completeness.

Last edited:
I agree, the test is not very useful, just a chart full of information.

I have given all 5 of my grandchildren binoculars when they reached age 5. Most received
the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 porro prism. Very good optically, and I can say surpass most of those
Gijs has mentioned. Lower end roof prism types do not perform as well as porro prisms in this area.
Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1173.JPG
    DSCN1173.JPG
    835.3 KB · Views: 13
Yes, we also had this one. Maybe my daughter would have like it more in this color 😊. But she didn't and preferred a roof. These porroa are too awkward to hold with small hands, difficult to reach the focusser (kids like to watch close stuff as well, so even with a 6x focussing is needed). Optically the Leupold is quite good indeed.
What my kids also did not like at all were 8x20 compacts, even my dads Leicas.
While my kids may not be representative, what I learned is that kids do not necessarily judge along the same criteria as adults...

Last edited:
Dalat, post 2,
I had no intention to write the childrens binocular review and ask children, it was directed to parents and grandparents, who want to supply their (grand)children with a useful binocular. Moreover I was interested myself in the performance of these binoculars especially triggered by the Swarovski Junior.
Gijs van Ginkel

IMO it's useful information. It doesn't claim to be a test for kids, but a test of binoculars that might be used by kids. I would have liked to see the Kowa YF II 6x30 (~Leopold Yosemite), as this is a popular model for kids and some adults too, and one I've found to punch way above it's price point. Oh well, still a fun read and I am always very grateful to have real transmission numbers - Thank you GvG!

Nice comparison! In the document I learned for the first time of the GPO passion SD. I have of course heard of the passion ED and HD but I was curious about these and what SD meant.
“with high-grade SD (substantial definition) glass“
Well that’s a new one. How much definition is substantial? Is it more than high? (The price suggests not). These marketing terms are really out of hand these days and I wish they would just tell us what we are getting. Also interesting they chose SD because what comes to mind with that abbreviation is “standard definition” not “substantial definition”.

has530, post 9,
If you ignore SD and take the 8x26 GPO in your hand and use it for a moment, you may be surprised: it is very well made and has very good optical quality for its price.
Gijs van Ginkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back