• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Corsica, 50 years on (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
This month marks exactly 50 years since my only previous visit to Corsica and almost 34 years since my wife’s only trip to the Scented Isle so it was about time for a mutual second holiday there! Back in 1974 I was a student and had travelled with a girlfriend from UK to Nice on Dan Air flights (Comet 4C outbound and a Boeing 707-321 for the return for you plane fans :) ) at silly NUS Travel prices, no wonder they folded soon after! Rucksack stuffed with tent, sleeping bag and other camping stuff meant I didn’t even take my binoculars with me and after all this time I remember only my first sighting of Dolphin, a skulking sylvia warbler with a piercing red eye in a bush and the amazing railway down through the island to Ajaccio to get the ferry back to Nice.

Five decades later things were going to be a bit more comfortable, no flights involved either. Although we live in France, our nearest access to the Mediterranean is in Italy so we booked our little Fiat Panda onto the Savone to Bastia ferry for an overnight crossing (sleeping in a cabin this time rather than on a corridor floor as in 1974!). 4 days before our scheduled departure we got an email from Corsica Ferries telling us that crossing was cancelled and proposing alternative routes, I took an executive decision and plumped for Livourne to Bastia (going down to Toulon on the French coast might have been a better idea I was gently advised later:rolleyes:…).

So instead of going over the Alps via a mountain pass near the Fréjus tunnel we now were to go a more northeasterly route through the Mont Blanc tunnel (a first for me!) and go down between Turin and Milan to hit the Italian Coast near Genoa before passing Pisa to get to Livourne.

3 June 2024
It was a long old drive, I’d forgotten how twisty and slow the roads are between us and the Chamonix-Mont Blanc area and although once in Italy it was all Autostrada from Aoste to Livourne it was good we shared the driving, my wife drew the short straw and did the second half which involved an amazing number of tunnels down the Italian coast. En route we noted few birds, a Black Woodpecker flew across the road before we left France and from the Italian motorways we spotted Little Egret, Grey Heron and Sacred Ibis in the rice fields near the Po river, Turtle and Collared Dove, Buzzard and our first Hooded Crows and Italian Sparrow. Waiting to board the ferry in the welcome sunshine and warm temperatures in Livourne I grilled all the Swift flying around but they all seemed to be of the common persuasion, the Kestrel was a Common too and a Barn Swallow looked out of place as it flitted through the vast industrial port area, Yellow - legged Gull the only seabird species present. After boarding the ship and profiting from our 50Euro food voucher (a sort of compensation from the ferry company after the enforced change of crossing) we hit the sack, no seawatching from the ferry for me unfortunately as it was dark before we left and on arrival the next morning.

4 June

We docked in Bastia at dawn and had an easy drive away from the port and south of the town to our first stop, the Etang de Biguglia, a fantastic migration hotspot in Spring but of course a bit quiet in June. Scanning the water from our viewpoint on the seaward side we could see only Red-crested Pochard pairs and Coot families and just a single large gull perched on a distant post. But not a Yellow-legged with that red bill and dark eye, an Audouin’s Gull, the first I’ve seen in France! A few Spotless Starling were ferrying food to and fro, until a couple of weeks before our departure I had forgotten that on Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily it’s the resident Starling species, so another French tick in the bag(y). No fewer than FIVE Hoopoe flew past us, a Sardinian Warbler showed briefly and Cetti’s Warbler were shouting away unseen. Collared Dove seemed particularly numerous both here and around the Boulangerie in nearby Furiani where a welcome coffee and Brioche au sucre were much appreciated!

Valentin (Val 35 here on Birdforum) had tipped me off about a flooded quarry not far away, near Bastia airport so we made the short drive there to have a look for any late migrating waders. A dusty spot what with all the lorries bumping along the partly unmade road, but nice to see breeding Black-winged Stilt, Little Ringed Plover and Little Grebe present, as was a Green Sandpiper (hmm, always a tricky one, 4th June, was it heading North or South I wonder). A single Cattle Egret was feeding around some, er, cattle, Spotless Starling juveniles were already on the wing and a female Red-Backed Shrike paused briefly on a tree before flying down into an overgrown field. The first of many Red Kite for the trip lumbered overhead before we set off to the centre of Corsica to explore the ancient fortified town of Corte, which was the capital of Corsica during its brief period of independence in the 18th Century. A few hours exploring Corte with its narrow streets, steep climb to the old citadelle, National Museum and ex-Foreign Legion barracks and tasting our first Corsican food specialities made a welcome change from being on the move. A few Blackcap were singing in various gardens, Common Swift screaming around and visiting their nests and Italian Sparrow were successfully picking up crumbs around the cafés and restaurant terraces and a couple of Red Kite drifted over the town. Best bird was up by the citadelle, a Mediterranean Flycatcher (tyrrhenica subspecies) busy flycatching from some trees behind the museum. At home, seeing any flycatcher is getting harder each year and before the trip I wondered how tricky it might be to find this lifer species. As it turned out, it is very common and we found them in all sorts of terrain. Ready for a nice siesta we rocked up at our accommodation around 15.30.

Attachments

• DSCN1799.JPG
    DSCN1799.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 26
  • audoiun 3.jpg
    audoiun 3.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 17
  • audoiun 4.jpg
    audoiun 4.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN1808.JPG
    DSCN1808.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1811.JPG
    DSCN1811.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I too am looking forward to this for memories of a great week there a few years ago. Also, I have unfinished business as I missed Corsican Finch - although I suspect this was ineptitude as I'm sure I probably did see one but it just didn't sink in at the time.

Cheers All, I'd recommend it, not just for the speciality species but as a destination, just avoid July and August if you can!

Following in the illustrious footsteps of a certain Mr Chapman (of this Parish) I had chosen the Hotel e Caselle as our base for the next 5 days. Situated by a fast-flowing river (see photo) that comes down from the mountainous central spine of the island it is ideally placed in the middle of Corsica, 15 minutes from Corte, great for walking days out but not too far from the nearest beaches (30 minutes if you drive like a local!). It has a swimming pool but swimming in the river was much more fun (if a bit chillier!). The plan for the following days was to: Day 1) do some local birding. 2) a long day out to the southernmost town of Bonifacio. 3) a mountain hike. 4) a day just relaxing (or in the recovery position after the hike!) around the hotel and nearby village (Venaco). 5) a forest walk and picnic. We particularly liked the fact that the extensive hotel grounds had no water-guzzling lawns or thirsty non-native flowers and shrubs, no aircon or fridge mini-bars in the rooms either, the buildings all built of local stone (see photo) so the whole complex blended in naturally with the surrounding environment. A 30 minute thunderstorm had greeted us on arrival so we worried we’d brought the Alps weather with us :unsure: but once it cleared we were treated to the sight of four or five Med Flycatchers just outside our window, young already fledged but still receiving treats from busy parents.

5 June
As is customary when staying somewhere new I had a pre-breakfast wander around the grounds and onto the hillside across the road from the hotel, a wildfire had evidently swept right through the latter section a few years ago, blackened tree trunks and shrub branches only just beginning to be hidden by new growth. Not surprisingly there was little bird activity evident on that side of the road but along the road itself and in the hotel grounds there was more life. This first exploration (and the previous evening) yielded the following species :

Red Kite, Woodpigeon, Common Swift, Alpine Swift, Barn Swallow, Grey Wagtail, Blackbird, Jay, Hooded Crow, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Mediterranean Flycatcher, Firecrest, Blackcap, Sardinian Warbler (heard only), Moltoni’s Warbler, Spotless Starling, Italian Sparrow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Interestingly the Alpine Swifts and the single Swallow on the first evening were the only ones we saw around the hotel during our stay, perhaps the thunderstorm had something to do with that as they had appeared as the rain stopped. Grey Wagtail were carrying food to young somewhere by the river. Blackbird was common, which I was pleased to see as believe it or not on my 1974 trip I had been shocked to find that Blackbird paté was one of the local delicacies on sale in the shops:mad:, thankfully this is no longer the case. The Firecrest I saw was taking food to a nest as were the Spotless Starling and Italian Sparrow. The highlight of my pre-breakfast ramble were the Moltoni’s Warblers, the 2nd lifer of the holiday and meaning I’ve now seen all of the ‘Subalpine trio’!(y) They were quite vocal but very busy birds, always on the move between the impenetrable bushes and therefore difficult to photograph (attached is my best effort from later in the week), once or twice a male did a display flight but always landing in some hidden spot or other.

Attachments

• Hotel.JPG
    Hotel.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 28
  • Moltoni hiding.jpg
    Moltoni hiding.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Med Fly.jpg
    Med Fly.jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Blackbird.jpg
    Blackbird.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4141.jpeg
    IMG_4141.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4140.jpeg
    IMG_4140.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 21
Hotel e Caselle is one of the nicest places I have stayed! It was reasonably priced out of season and an astonishingly good find by a friend when he was sorting out our accommodation logistics. Certainly a step up on a lot of places that I have stayed on a birding trip abroad & wasted really on our group of three male birding friends on a short trip.

😀

A good twitching friend with a 9,000+ World List - so remarkably well travelled - said that he rated Corsica as one of the nicest places that he has visited. Difficult to disagree!

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
Hotel e Caselle is one of the nicest places I have stayed! It was reasonably priced out of season and an astonishingly good find by a friend when he was sorting out our accommodation logistics. Certainly a step up on a lot of places that I have stayed on a birding trip abroad & wasted really on our group of three male birding friends on a short trip.

😀

A good twitching friend with a 9,000+ World List - so remarkably well travelled - said that he rated Corsica as one of the nicest places that he has visited. Difficult to disagree!

All the best

Paul
Indeed! We'll definitely be back (probably next year as Corsica Ferries have given us a 100 Euro voucher to use by end 2025!). :unsure: The Annual Corsican Cheese Fair is in the nearest village (Venaco) the first weekend in May..........:unsure:

The ’eat as much as you want’ breakfast at the hotel demanded a lot of self-control on my part and was enlivened by the bizarre sight of a Weasel trotting along the decking outside the dining room, an experience repeated on two subsequent mornings. Meanwhile a Med Flycatcher juvenile was perched on a sun lounger by the pool and regularly fed by a hard-working parent. All this meant a later than planned departure for our local birding day and we arrived at the Fort de Pasciola viewpoint, twenty minutes’ drive from the hotel, just before 11, not the ideal time of day to be starting birding under the hot Mediterranean sun. The walk from the viewpoint to the fort is a well known one for birders, with four of the ‘sought after Corsican species’ regularly recorded (Med Flycatcher, Moltoni’s and Marmora’s Warblers and Corsican Finch). We didn’t do so well, though it was a very pleasant walk once we were away from the parking area which was crowded with bikers and people striving for their perfect Instagram selfies! Although we only crossed one group of four people between the road and the fort the birds were apparently lying low (or perhaps poor fieldcraft on my part!). A Cirl Bunting was singing from a shady spot but apart from hearing a contact calling Moltoni’s Warbler we saw little until we got to the ruined fortress, where a pair each of Blue Rock Thrush and Mediterranean Flycatcher were clearly nesting. Despite a lot of stopping and listening we only managed a pair of Goldfinch, Blackcap and Red Kite before setting off the 9kms to our next site at the Col de Sorba. Situated at 1310m asl in an ancient Black Pine forest the Col is a breeding spot for Corsican Nuthatch and thanks to previous Birdforum contributors (Jos, Paul C and Ads Bowley for example) I knew to park at the last of the five hairpin bends (the only one after the Col itself heading South). Again Lady Luck was not with us as fog/cloud had rolled in (see photo), it was just 11°C and although there was a likely-looking dead Pine nearby (plenty of Nuthatch sized holes in the trunk) it was eerily quiet, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Crossbill, Coal Tit and Chaffinch the only reward for a good 90 minutes’ searching, the Chaffinch being the only bird I actually saw! Feeling a bit deflated (and it was past 3pm so we were getting hungry by now as well) we reluctantly set off back down the mountain. Véro had spotted some magnificent Foxgloves a kilometre short of the Col and I was able to pull off at a bend in the road so she could take a few photos. While she wandered up the road I walked up a track to a clearing on the forest edge where I started hearing an unfamiliar call, not unlike juvenile Starling. I’m not a top notch birder but people sometimes do say “ you’re good on calls”, I always reply “Yeh, only the ones I know though!” So, if I don’t recognize it, it must be something special is my motto! The call came from a nearby deciduous tree and as I neared it a short-tailed small bird flew out and across to a dead Pine opposite. Even against the light I could make out that Nuthatch shape and that bandit style eyestripe, Bingo, the Sittelle Corse! Véro was coming back down the road and gave me a thumbs up (turned out she’d found some Cyclamen in flower as well as the Foxglove), I responded with a sort of celebratory ‘Grandad Dance’. Together we waited for the Corsican Nuthatch to return, it was a pair visiting a nest hole in fact and once the cloud cleared we had some cracking views of the birds set against a blue sky. A Raven cruised overhead croaking its congratulations in our direction. During this interlude I heard what sounded like Citril Finch flight call and shortly afterwards two passerines shot past and down the hill with a flash of canary yellow – Corsican Finch obviously but not exactly the sort of view one desires for a lifer. Still, seeing two new species at the same time in the WP is quite a rare event for me these days so I felt justified in having a cool beer with my Corsican Onion Pasty at the Bar/Restaurant back at the main road below. And I still had 4 days left in which to find a Marmora’s Warbler, so no pressure……

Attachments

• Pasciola Fort.JPG
    Pasciola Fort.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCN1861.JPG
    DSCN1861.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1850.JPG
    DSCN1850.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Col de Sorba.JPG
    Col de Sorba.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Unless the endemic butterflies are also on your radar - still excellent for them in July.
Good point Jos, and the butts thankfully will be well away from the coastal fleshpots and traffic jams!

6 June

No early morning perambulations this morning as it was the day set aside for our only long drive of the week, down to Bonifacio at the southern tip of the island so a quick and early breakfast was taken.. En route we saw a Turtle Dove and heard Nightingale at one roadworks traffic light. Despite using the main road along the East coast It took a good two and a quarter hours to get there, only to find that despite it being ‘off season’, there were traffic queues and all the car parks already full around the Port at the entrance to the town. Fortunately one was still free, way up on top of the cliffs upon which the old town is built, with a great view across to Sardinia so that was a result in itself. From what I’ve read it is much more crowded in July/August and for this Alpine country dweller to be squeezing through the narrow streets with hundreds of other visitors was a bit stressful. Thankfully, the old family run restaurant we wanted to experience had room for us, so a nice Pastis calmed me down before a delicious meal of Corsican Soup followed by Octopus and pasta!.................. and Corsican cheese :cool: . Bird wise it was naturally a bit quiet, though on arriving the first thing I heard was Pallid Swift, a few were flying around with their more numerous Common cousins and some House Martins. Jackdaws and Yellow - legged Gulls a’plenty and a nice male Sardinian Warbler sang and showed briefly in some cliff top scrub. I heard a different scratchy warbler song on the breeze and frustratingly saw a long-tailed Sylvia type appear momentarily on some bushes we’d gone past. Retracing our steps was impossible though as the road was being closed as a funeral procession was beginning, complete with the Priest leading incantations at a good volume! I wondered about it having been a Marmora’s, but no worries, there were still 3 and a half days left……….
After such a hearty meal we decided against the long descent and then ascent to the track leading to a lighthouse, known to be good walk for Dartford, Moltoni’s, Sardinian and er, Marmora’s Warblers. We had a long drive to undertake to get back to the hotel and as for the Marmora’s, well, there would still be three da , well you know the rest………………

The other interesting (for me anyway!) feature of Bonifacio’s avifauna was the possible presence of Spanish Sparrow (though no reports recently that I could find), but hybrid Italian x Spanish Sparrow are definitely seen in the area and we saw one individual that perhaps had a Spanish Sparrow grandparent;). Although it was lacking any Spanish-type underpart streaking it had white lines on very dark upperparts which I have never previously seen on any Italian Sparrow.
On the long hot drive back we remembered we had our swimming gear in the car so stopped at a little beach for a welcome fish-spotting snorkel in the already warm waters of the Med. There are some interesting lakes/lagoons on the East coastal stretch which we didn’t stop at (think Flamingo, Spoonbill, Glossy Ibis etc) but that will have to be for our next visit!

Attachments

• DSCN1980.JPG
    DSCN1980.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 10
  • DSCN1966.JPG
    DSCN1966.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN1970.JPG
    DSCN1970.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 6
  • Y l G.JPG
    Y l G.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Italian spanish hybrid.jpg
    Italian spanish hybrid.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Really whetting my appetite now Richard, and not just for the birding!

Chris
In that case Chris, here’s a few ‘holiday snaps’!
1 Bastia port at dawn when we arrived
2 and 3 and 4 Roads are generally very good, though with the occasional hazards !
5 Rush hour!
6 Venaco, the nearest village to the hotel, where the Annual Corsican Cheese Fair takes place
7 Busy beach.

Attachments

• IMG_4135.jpeg
    IMG_4135.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4149.jpeg
    IMG_4149.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4148.jpeg
    IMG_4148.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4045.jpeg
    IMG_4045.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4040.jpeg
    IMG_4040.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4142.jpeg
    IMG_4142.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4104.jpeg
    IMG_4104.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Very nice report and congrats for finding the Nuthatch! Its funny call is indeed the best way to find it.
Was reminded of that call recently on a trip to Georgia, Krüpper's Nuthatch does a very similar call and also looks similar (minus the big red patch on the breast). Brought back great memories from Corsica, love the place! Last time we stayed at Cap Corse in spring. A bit far from everything, but very nice area and great passerine migration.

Very nice report and congrats for finding the Nuthatch! Its funny call is indeed the best way to find it.
Was reminded of that call recently on a trip to Georgia, Krüpper's Nuthatch does a very similar call and also looks similar (minus the big red patch on the breast). Brought back great memories from Corsica, love the place! Last time we stayed at Cap Corse in spring. A bit far from everything, but very nice area and great passerine migration.
Thanks Dalat! Yes, I notice that each Spring more and more birders are up North on Corsica joining the locals, hopefully Val 35 will tell us how many Pallid Harrier went through this year (quite a lot I think!).
Also Great Snipe is almost annual now I think….

Last edited:
Would be interested in seeing those Pallid Harrier records, I guess peak time is last week March through to second week in April?

Would be interested in seeing those Pallid Harrier records, I guess peak time is last week March through to second week in April?
In checking Nick you are exactly……….
a month out ;) ! The daily staffed migration watch point at Prunette ( figures on Trektellen.org) logged their 1st on 28 March and the last on 14 May, 41 in total this Spring at just that one site (!), peak week seems to be the last week of April ( 8 individuals on 27th for example ).

7 June

My pre-breakfast wanderings near the hotel produced some nice sightings today, new for the site were Wryneck, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Hoopoe, Woodlark, Robin, Coal Tit, Serin and Greenfinch. Sardinian Warbler were alarm calling so I hid behind a tree and was rewarded with seeing a juvenile being fed by an adult male, a second juvenile (I think!) unfortunately with a nasty looking cyst by its eye.

Our original plan for this day had been to do the well-known hike from the top of the Vallée de Restonica, up to two lakes and back down via a shady forest, but two destructive storms last autumn and winter had closed the last few kms of the road and cars were now banned, an alternative minibus service had been introduced, but on enquiring at the Tourist Office in Corte we were informed that the minibus drops people off well short of the previous start point of the walk, so instead of a four hour return hike it has become 7 hours, half of which is walking on the tarmac of the damaged road. So Plan B came into play, an alternative trek along the Gorges de Tavliagno, starting in Corte, reaching a footbridge over the river after c2hours and 1.5 hours to redescend (river swimming recommended!). Well, those were the timings listed, we are used to mountain walking at home for hours in the Alps, but less accustomed to hiking in the heat and I had mistakenly assumed the track would follow the river and thus be shaded most of its length, it did indeed follow the river, but it ran up on the mountainside with limited tree cover. Plus we had dawdled a bit so had set off at 10.30 and our progress was er, leisurely. Still, the maquis looked prime habitat for that pesky Marmora’s Warbler🤞! Despite the 29°C it was a lovely walk but after 2 hours we were quite happy to stop and picnic in the shad of some pines and came to the wise decision to not attempt the full hike, meaning we could redescend at our leisure and stop in each shady spot and appreciate the scenery without getting dehydrated! Véro even managed to do some sketching while I had ‘fun’ trying to get Moltoni’s Warblers to come out of hiding for a photo! A family of Long-tailed Tit were not so shy and we came across a cliff-nesting colony of House Martin on the way down, a Kestrel getting them into a tizz as it flew over. Buzzard and Red Kite made it a 3 raptor day and Cirl Bunting and Blackcap provided the musical soundtrack (though perhaps Cirl Bunting’s song is music only to a female Cirl’s ears!). We were worn out by the time we got back down to Corte! No Marmora’s despite the promising habitat, but there were still two full days left etc etc…………………:rolleyes:

Photos of the Sardinian Warblers, Long-tailed Tit and some scenery from the hike.

Attachments

• DSCN1993.JPG
    DSCN1993.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1995.JPG
    DSCN1995.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2015.JPG
    DSCN2015.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2012.JPG
    DSCN2012.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2020.JPG
    DSCN2020.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 5
"....Vallée de Restonica ... last few kms of the road and cars were now banned ...."

That's a pity, not only good for Lammergeier (yes yes, more common than sparrows in your garden back home 🙂), but superb for butterflies too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back