• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Cl Companion 8x30 vs. SFL 8x30 vs. ? (1 Viewer)

ReinierB

Netherlands
Hello,

I am considering adding a lightweight pair of binoculars. One that is considerably lighter and smaller than my NL 10x32 and SLC 8x42, but larger and more comfortably in use than my Curio 7x21. I was thinking about the CL 8x25 or the VP 8x25, but now I am leaning towards a 8x30 because a 8x25 can still be quite fiddly in use.
I tried the Habicht 8x30, but I prefer smaller/lighter, a smoother focuser and a bit more robust (they will be my "going out with family when bird watching isn't the main purpose"-binoculars.)

I don not really feel attraction to a Nikon 8x30. Nikon just isn't my brand. Leica unfortunately doesn't have a 30mm size, otherwise I would have liked adding a Leica to my lineup. The UHVD 8x32 is pretty lightweight for a 32mm but still too heavy for my liking (and too expensive.)

So now I am leaning towards the CL 8x30 and the SFL 8x30. I read a lot of praise about the SFL 8x30. Is it just the larger FOV? Or is it more comfortable as well? (better ergonomics, larger eyecups, etc.) I know I like the CL 8x30 as I already tried it, but I have never tried the SFL 8x30. The larger FOV is a nice feature and it is a bit lighter as well. Any thoughts?
I prefer the looks of the CL 8x30, but I think the SFL is a bit more robust, or is that a wrong assumption? The CL 8x30 in anthracite with the northern lights package is certainly good-looking imo. The new CL Companion Habicht or the Nomad are even better looking, but not worth the extra money (I want my marriage to remain healthy.)

Are the Companion and the SFL in the same optical league?

Another question I have: does the VP 8x25 behave almost like a 8x30 because of the single hinge, the large FOV and the high transmission? I can't help to take this one in consideration as well, because it will spare me some money.

I am a regular 8x30SFL user but cannot speak to the Curio.

The only real criticism I have had for the SFL is that eye placement is (was) a little fiddly. I typically wear wire-rimmed specs and was needing to adjust the eyecups out just a smidgen. It was not optimal, but I didn't want to lose any of the fieldstop. I also own plastic framed glasses and discovered that they protrude just a little bit further out from my face, making the SFL's perfect with eyecups fully retracted. I have never since thought twice about blackouts and they remain my go-to bins.

While the IQ was very good, I also did not bond with the MHG (and subsequently sold them). I had purchased them partially based on Holger's comp:

I tried x30 SFLs, and they seemed very good, but I found them just a little too small. x40 SFLs fitted my hands much better.
You'll only know if one feels better when you try them.

I tried x30 SFLs, and they seemed very good, but I found them just a little too small. x40 SFLs fitted my hands much better.
Thanks. If I didn't have the Swarovski SLC 8x42 I think I would go for the SFL 8x40 as well. They are really comfortable in de hands and the focuser is on the right spot. I have my doubts about the placement of the focuser of the SFL 30's.

We have both and I agree. The 40's are great. But I use the 30's a lot when hiking or travelling, just because the are delightfully compact and light. The focusers are perfect for my use, on both 30 and 40.

Another question I have: does the VP 8x25 behave almost like a 8x30 because of the single hinge, the large FOV and the high transmission? I can't help to take this one in consideration as well, because it will spare me some money.

Reinier,

I haven't tried the SFL or the MHG 8x30 but own and regularly use both the VP 8x25 and the CL B Companion 8x30. The CL has a slightly brighter image but I personally prefer the handling of the VP. The VP does handle more like a 30/32mm than other 25 mm dual hinge models. Somehow the AFOV of the VP appears slightly larger to me even though the FOV is identical. The CL is built like a tank. I have the Nature version and like the slightly different version of the FP strap and objective covers that come with the Nature CL as opposed to the EL versions of both.

On CL accessory options, there is a review by an owner who reports that the Northern Lights bag is a bit flimsy and tends to deposit fuzz on the lenses if that would be a consideration for you.

Good luck with the Quest.

Mike

Thanks. If I didn't have the Swarovski SLC 8x42 I think I would go for the SFL 8x40 as well. They are really comfortable in de hands and the focuser is on the right spot. I have my doubts about the placement of the focuser of the SFL 30's.
Something I have found with sfl 10x40, that has never happened to me previously with any binoculars. And I missed a bird because of it, which again is unheard of for me previously.

I have a habit of carrying tripod over one shoulder and using binoculars with the other hand. I picked them up and my thumb was acting as a brake underneath the focus wheel, locking the wheel in place. My fingers couldn't turn the focus wheel. I was literally stuck, and the bird flew off. I can remember to pick them up one handed with my thumb out of the way now, but it made me smile. It wasn't a significant bird that I missed.

I wouldn't completely rule out the CL25's without trying them - I was pleasantly surprised at how unfinicky they were with eye placement etc. - not significantly worse than some 8x30/8x32s. Not super small (but with my hands that's an advantage). Jacket rather than shirt pocket friendly.

My partner has the old-style CL Companion 8x30, and they're a great lightweight, compact binocular with excellent IQ...however...
I originally bought them for myself to have a pair I could wear both for birding, and for work (primarily doing other stuff, like vegetation surveys). When I bought them I was warned that while in terms of optical quality they matched high-end Swaros, in terms of built quality they weren't that robust. And that was indeed true, and a problem for me, as I am not always that careful - I managed to lose several eyepiece cups in the field, necessitating (free) replacement of the whole unit. The other slight problem was they're not particularly close-focussing, but that was secondary to the fact I kept losing bits off them.
Eventually I gave up and passed them on to her, a massive upgrade from her Opticon Travellers, and bought a second hand Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD - obviously much bigger and heavier, but still in one piece after several years of not especially careful use.

I was set to get a pair of SFL x30s but tried them & the eye placement didn't work for me. I ended up with the CLs (& SFL x40s) as they were much more comfortable to use. Optical quality I assumed to be on par. I wouldn't buy before trying.

Is it possible that you can visit anywhere that you can try and compare?

I hate to keep playing the same tired old tune, but you don’t know what you will see until you look.

I would go with the CL 8x30 over the SFL 8x30. The CL has sharper edges and doesn't have the 'Blue Ring of Death' that is a blue ring around the edge of the FOV that I experienced with the SFL 8x30.

Also, I found the SFL 8x30 was much more finicky for eye placement than the CL 8x30, which was excellent for a 8x30 because of it's bigger eye box.

That being said, I much prefer a 8x32 or 8x42 because of the easier eye placement and brighter image. It seems like even though a 8x30 is not that much smaller in aperture, there is a big decrease in performance from a bigger glass.

I would take a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 or Nikon MHG 8x42 any day over a CL 8x30 or SFL 8x30 for less money. The bigger glass are only a few ounces heavier.

Last edited:
I've used this class of binoculars as LOT as it's my favorite group. After years of 42mm binoculars once I tried a Monarch 7 8X30 and a SV 8X32, I knew this was the direction I wanted to go. At one time I had tried most of the better models that were available and some lesser expensive ones as well. So
I am basically talking a kind of broad 28mm to 35mm models. We will call these compact-ish binoculars. For me they are all attempting to find a balance of weight/size/portability/ergonomics/ease of use paired with optical performance.

Of the ones I've tried....I tend to like the Monarch HG 8X30 best. I've used it at lot on numerous trips. Its high points are FOV, handling, size/weight, and nice optics. It's been used from Trinidad/Tobago to Northern Ohio. It's never missed a beat. And even though I have some of the top 20-25mm binoculars, I don't find them to be equivalent in ease of use and viewing performance. I feel 30mm is about the minimum objective size to still get MOST of the things a 42mm will give you MOST of the time without too much compromise.

A few others that do a good job in this range are the UVHD+ 8X32, Kowa Genesis 8X33, and the Leica Trinovid 7X35. The Trinovid 7X35 is kind of a wild card that I never expected to like as much as I do. I love it! It's overall still one of my favorite binoculars and will never leave my possession. Mentioned the CL Companion 8X30...I actually like the previous model CL 8X30 better than the latest CL 8X30 B. And you know,,,bang for the buck it's hard to beat the Monarch/M 7 8X30.

In conclusion...there are SEVERAL good binoculars in the group that will suit you. Most not really that much "better" than the other. It mostly comes down to user preferences.

13602883-DB52-465D-A3D1-BAC3B16CD8E6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_12e3.jpeg
C702042F-521E-403C-A45D-01DC18074505.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg

We have both and I agree. The 40's are great. But I use the 30's a lot when hiking or travelling, just because the are delightfully compact and light. The focusers are perfect for my use, on both 30 and 40.
I'm still thinking about trying that 8X30!

SFL 8x30 is a top oof the league in 30mm.
CL and MHG 8x30 is both optically inferior then Zeiss conquest 8x32

conquest leads in central sharpness then both
CL significantly smaller FOV, more CA
MHG have infreior edge sharpness.

I found out SFL 8x30 is bit step over then conquest 8x32
not as the top optics like 32mm EL, NL but succeed to make bit more better optics then conquest 32mm with about 200g lighter.
ease of view is worse then conquest because of it's smaller eyecups, but overall better optical bino then conquest clearly making to the top in 30mm class (of course it is top price too)

I don't think CL companion meets the praise of Swarovski.

of course it has inferior optics then EL and NL, but unlike EL and NL, companions didn't rule on it's price range.
even 20,25mm pocket bino of swaro is the best in the class (price, apature) but I think companion failed to fit that name.

.... I feel 30mm is about the minimum objective size to still get MOST of the things a 42mm will give you MOST of the time without too much compromise.

... Most not really that much "better" than the other. It mostly comes down to user preferences.

13602883-DB52-465D-A3D1-BAC3B16CD8E6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_12e3.jpeg
C702042F-521E-403C-A45D-01DC18074505.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg
Hello Chuck,

I concur. Additionally, I think that exit pupils less than 3.25mm become problematic in eye placement as well as in performance, so 8x30 meets my minimum essentials. The 8x32, with a circa 8º or more, actual field of view, and a 4mm exit pupil, meets most of the needs of a bird watcher in the middle latitudes. The 8x30 has a twilight factor of 15.5 ; the 8x32 has a twilight factor of 16; an 8x42 has a twilight factor of 18.33. So there is not much difference between an 8x30 and an 8x32 in twilight factor.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

I'm still thinking about trying that 8X30!
Maybe I just got lucky. My wife had 30MHG, 8x32Trinovid, 7x35Retro etc. to chose from and took 'my' 30SFLs. I missed them enough (still had FL's, NV, 40SFLs etc.) that I bought a second pair. They tick all the boxes for me - build quality, IQ, ergos, focuser, ER...
But you are totally correct - we are all different and see different thing in optics ;-)

On CL accessory options, there is a review by an owner who reports that the Northern Lights bag is a bit flimsy and tends to deposit fuzz on the lenses if that would be a consideration for you.
Thanks. Good to know. That good could be annoying.

I wouldn't completely rule out the CL25's without trying them - I was pleasantly surprised at how unfinicky they were with eye placement etc. - not significantly worse than some 8x30/8x32s. Not super small (but with my hands that's an advantage). Jacket rather than shirt pocket friendly.
I haven't yet... I already have the Curio 7x21 so it doesn't necessarily need to me very compact/small. Important for me is: possiblity to wear it bandolier style (so strap long enough), ease eye placement, comfortable (so one hinge like on the VP 8x25 could be better in that aspect) and not too vulnerable (no exposed metal parts like on the EL's end NL's. Just one nock and there is a scratch on the metal or the paint comes off, etc.)

I actually like the previous model CL 8X30 better than the latest CL 8X30 B.

Why is that exactly? The newer CL is a bit lighter, a bit brighter (according to a test of HouseOfOutdoors), has a bit larger FOV and eye relief. Or is het just the ergonomics that suite you better?

Today I pulled the trigger and ordered SFL 8x30. 🤗

Let us now what you think of it! :)
In what way does it complement your line up of binoculars?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back