• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Can someone help me identify these? (1 Viewer)

LIme85AW11

At first I thought they were sparrows, but they look nothing like the sparrows in any of my books. The long wings are sparrow-like, but the coloring is not. Maybe they are juvenile? I saw these two at one of the buildings where I work. There are many house sparrows and purple martins in this area.

Attachments

• unknownbird_web.jpg
    unknownbird_web.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 207
They do seem very swallow-ish. The white throat on the bird facing the camera is what's going to give the headaches, methinks. It's not high enough up towards the chin to qualify for a Bank Swallow. Northern Rough-winged Swallow maybe?

Too brown I think for Purple Martins. The bird on the left is too hunched down to see whether that is the distinct breastband of a Sand Martin (fide crispycreme) but the white throat seems to preclude Rough-winged Swallow, so it must be Riparia riparia... mustn't it?

Charles Harper said:
Too brown I think for Purple Martins. The bird on the left is too hunched down to see whether that is the distinct breastband of a Sand Martin (fide crispycreme) but the white throat seems to preclude Rough-winged Swallow, so it must be Riparia riparia... mustn't it?
Hrmm yes definitely...the white patch on the throats is odd, but I think that must be it. Not uncommon birds anywhere, I suppose, but I couldn't get any closer to them at the time. I'll try to find them again and get a better photo.

I believe they might be Northern Rough-winged Swallows. The white which appears to be in the throat area of the bird on the left is perhaps a small white flower of some sort in front of the bird.

Sorry about the por quality photo...I couldn't get any closer, and only have a 300mm lens at the moment. I believe it is a dandilion (after giving off all it's seeds) in front of the bird, actually...good call, Larry. Thanks for all the help, everyone!

I would say NRW swallows - as someone said it looks like a flower causing the white throat - Just on sheer probability they would be NRW as they are common in CT - Bank are found mainly in the Mid/NW of the State (Shepaug Dam, White Memorial are good sites) Purple Martin mainly coastally (Hammonassett SP, Milford Point) at this time of year.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back