• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Birding around Melbourne/Victoria in Spring (2 Viewers)

KarenTee

Thailand
My family lives in Melbourne, I'm considering a trip back in spring and am wondering what are the best options for birding? I'll be in the western suburbs, so Werribee, You Yangs and Otways are all viable options. My main concern is possible low light, poor weather and grey skies. Can anyone offer advice and suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Weather isn't that bad in spring generally.
Werribee is good any time of year , even if the weather is bad.

Thanks for the input. I live in Thailand, where birding is best in the dry season, but it's extremely hot. Melbourne would be the opposite, which I'm unfamiliar with. As unpredictable as Melbourne weather is, would Oct be better than Sept? Thanks.

October is a great month to go birding in Victoria. It will not be cold and shouldn't be too hot. Hopefully it will rain a bit as parts of the state are currently desperate for a good soaking. All the spring migrants will be down. The bush will be full of wildflowers.

I live in the south-west of the state so can recommend the Grampians NP and the Little Desert NP. If you have time head to the north-west for special mallee species. In the north-east Chiltern-Mount Pilot NP is my favourite.

Have a great time and let us know how you do.

Cheers
Steve

It’s been many years, but my wife (from Melbourne) and I birded the Merribee Western Water Treatment Plant and reserve on a self-guided walk. She did the pre-visit approval requirements which were outlined on their website. I’m not sure if it’s still an option, but we simply checked in at a gate, parked our car where directed and wondered about. We had to leave by a certain time but we were there for hours. It was free and well worth the time. We saw a good variety of birds from the expected ducks and waterbirds to scrub birds to kites and even a Giant Petrel.

While it’s not near where you’ll be, we also birded up near the Puffing Billy tourist train and saw lots of parrots and forest species not as common in town. Good luck with your trip!

Thanks for the input. I live in Thailand, where birding is best in the dry season, but it's extremely hot. Melbourne would be the opposite, which I'm unfamiliar with. As unpredictable as Melbourne weather is, would Oct be better than Sept? Thanks.
As Steve has said, October is a good month to bird in the state and will likely be birdier than September and a bit better weather wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back