• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Asking for help to ID 2 birds - one seen in Arizona , the other in BC Canada (1 Viewer)

hgee

United Kingdom
Hi
I would be grateful for help to ID 2 birds seen on trips to the US and Canada
The first bird (Photo 1) was taken near Panamint Valley ( Death Valley) in Nov 2011
The second bird ( photos 2a -2c) was seen at Vaseaux Lake BC Canada in June 2015
(sorry the second set are not sharp!)
If anyone can help with IDs that would be great!
Thanks

Attachments

• Photo 1.JPG
    Photo 1.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 39
  • 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 44
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 2c.JPG
    2c.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 44
I'm not experienced with western Empidonax, but I'd say Willow (contrast between throat and face, almost no eye ring, primary extension looks a bit short though).

First one is a Blue Grosbeak. I'll leave the second to someone else, not fair for me to have all the fun :p
Hi ; I have looked at my NatGeo Guide and yep thats the one! Thanks!
I have visited the US/Canada about 8 times since 2006 and I am finally compiling a list of birds seen
A quick look tells me I saw a male Blue Grosbeak at the Desert Museum in AZ a while ago so the female is nice too!
You won't believe this but when I looked at the photo my first thoughts were " that beak is distinctive , maybe a female , maybe a Cardinal or a Grosbeak?" so nice to know I was on the right lines
How about the other bird?!

I agree with Willow Flycatcher for the second bird.
thanks for your help folks!
I found the second bird too difficult to ID - it is an LBJ as far as I'm concerned and my experience
with N American birds is limited so nice to know my out of focus shots were still good enough
to get an answer!
Thanks again!

As this has been so successful I am going to post another ID challenge
This time a Hummer species seen in CA in 2017
Watch this space

Users who are viewing this thread

Back