• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Anyone here having luck with safflower seed? (1 Viewer)

What's up with safflower seed? I bought a couple large bags a few weeks ago, hoping they would reduce my starling and grackle infestation and deter the squirrels from destroying my hopper feeder. But nothing seems to eat the seed in the feeder, except the squirrels and a couple cardinals that visit late in the evening. My chickadees, nuthatches, titmice, rose breasted grosbeaks, house finches, and red bellied woodpeckers don't appear to be interested. The starlings kick the seed out of the feeder looking for something they want. (which they don't find) The chipmunks, squirrels and doves appear to eat all of the safflower seed that falls on the ground.

Do I have some bad seed?

How about leaving the safflower seed for the squirrels an put sunflower seeds for the birds, maybe that will keep the squirrels from raiding the birdfeeder?

What's up with safflower seed? I bought a couple large bags a few weeks ago, hoping they would reduce my starling and grackle infestation and deter the squirrels from destroying my hopper feeder. But nothing seems to eat the seed in the feeder, except the squirrels and a couple cardinals that visit late in the evening. My chickadees, nuthatches, titmice, rose breasted grosbeaks, house finches, and red bellied woodpeckers don't appear to be interested. The starlings kick the seed out of the feeder looking for something they want. (which they don't find) The chipmunks, squirrels and doves appear to eat all of the safflower seed that falls on the ground.

Do I have some bad seed?
I did the same! It did deter the starlings and grackles..but also most of my other birds. The house finches and mourning doves enjoy it and the cardinals pick at it, but I’ve read it can take some birds a bit to get used to it, so hopefully that will be the case!

Unfortunately the grackles and squirrels seem to have developed a taste for it. Not the starlings.
That’s unfortunate! I had to switch to feeders that were very difficult for them to use, but they also effected how I fed the blue jays and cardinals.. that’s why I switched to safflower and in shell peanuts for the larger feeders.. they hung around for a while and still check in from time to time, but I think they got tired of having to work so hard to get a nibble LOL! I really hope you find a way! I’ve seen some really neat things they make, but it’s definitely going to come with a hefty price tag!

My original intent in buying peanuts in the shell was to reward my well behaved bluejays. But the squirrels, chipmunks, and grackles were getting it all. The deck and yard was also a mess, so I bought a 25lb bag of "peanut pickouts". The critters (including the jays) don't like them! They want the shells!

My original intent in buying peanuts in the shell was to reward my well behaved bluejays. But the squirrels, chipmunks, and grackles were getting it all. The deck and yard was also a mess, so I bought a 25lb bag of "peanut pickouts". The critters (including the jays) don't like them! They want the shells!
My birds (and squirrels) seem to prefer them too! I bought some of the shakes for a peanut feeder and the smaller birds use that, but the jays definitely prefer the in-shell!! Unfortunately, so do the ever present grackles 🙄 If I can put them out for the jays early in the morning, the grackles usually miss them though!

Thanks. "Early in the morning..." I will try that. But not sure how long I can keep dishing out the whole peanuts.. Almost 7 lbs. / week, plus the bird feed. Can't afford it. The squirrels and chipmunks get most of the peanuts. I confess, I can't resist the chipmunks when they run up to me when I go out on the deck to fill the feeders.

What are you referring to when you say "shakes for a peanut feeder"?

I guess I'm lucky, the cardinals and red finches (or maybe they are small cardinals), love the safflower seed. The squirrels don't like it. The grackles try it and I see them actually spitting it out.

I put out two full cups ofpeanuts in shells once in am and then for supper for the blue jays nothing the rest of the day. They always come quickly and eat them. That way I don’t have to worry about grackles

In my garden the birds love sunflower heart seeds. I have put regular seeds out and I’ve not seen a single bird so I know what seeds to carry on feeding them with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back