• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Anybody managed to get a Canon RF Camera to work for Digiscoping ? (1 Viewer)

AxelFoley

United Kingdom
I was sold a Canon RF 8 as an upgrade for my Phone for digiscoping ...
But after calling the Canon Help Desk I believe that Canon have blocked any lens's from working if they do not have a Electronic ID they have approved.

Canon could not get my RF 8 To work because of this and it looks like all Dumb RF T-Mounts will not work as Canon prevent the shutter from triggering in Manual - Manual Focus mode.

They have escalated to their product support ... but I think you are screwed with a Canon RF Camera !!!!

I have seen some astro photographers use a Electronic RF to EF Adapter and then use a EF T Mount ... maybe this is the only way to circumnavigate the Electronic ID Block by Canon.

I'm going to be sending this Canon back ...... Everybody warned me about Canon ..... I should have listened and I'll be buying a Sony instead :-(

Update: With Firmware version 1.2 there is an option in the yellow menu to enable shutter w/o Lens.

If you set this it disables the digital block on the lens and you can trigger the shutter in Manual Mode.

I don't even know why this menu option exists, they just want to frustrate users that are not using a Canon RF Lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back