• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

A couple from Peru (1 Viewer)

Southern Viking

United Kingdom
These two were taken by my Mum in South Peru a couple of weeks ago.

The Ibis I presume is either White-faced or Glossy. I know both are found in Peru but from what I could tell online it'd be more likely White-faced being in the south of the country? Is there any way to ID it from the photo? I read an article years ago on the ID of them (in Birding World maybe) but I can't remember the non-breeding/immature ID.

The finch I assume is a Saffron Finch but just wanted to check.

Attachments

• IMG-20240521-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240521-WA0001.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20240525-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20240525-WA0008.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 27
These two were taken by my Mum in South Peru a couple of weeks ago.

The Ibis I presume is either White-faced or Glossy. I know both are found in Peru but from what I could tell online it'd be more likely White-faced being in the south of the country? Is there any way to ID it from the photo? I read an article years ago on the ID of them (in Birding World maybe) but I can't remember the non-breeding/immature ID.

The finch I assume is a Saffron Finch but just wanted to check.
Looks like Puna yellow-finch and Puna Ibis. Not sure saffron finch should be there (but may be in some urban areas—it's spreading); bill shape is wrong and so is colour here [too yellow with no orangy tones]. Puna ibis is a "relatively" recent split. Other species are possible but unlikely in the area. White-faced is essentially unknown in southern Peru but is in Bolivia.

Looks like Puna yellow-finch and Puna Ibis. Not sure saffron finch should be there (but may be in some urban areas—it's spreading); bill shape is wrong and so is colour here [too yellow with no orangy tones]. Puna ibis is a "relatively" recent split. Other species are possible but unlikely in the area. White-faced is essentially unknown in southern Peru but is in Bolivia.
Many thanks The Fern (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back