• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

2 days of stationary birding within 2-3hours from London (richmond/kew) early november (1 Viewer)

Joakim

Sweden
Hi,
Living in Sweden with 2 birding kids.
We're visting friends in London late october /early november and would like to add 2 nights of nature and birding to The trip. Rental car and accomodation at som Nice location. We were looking at Elmley but The accomodations in the reserve seems fully booked, and im not so sure regarding the rest of the sheppey Island?
Mostly interested in waders, preferrably from less than scoping distances (love lying on a beach and photo them). Possibilitys for owls (barn owl and little owls nearly impossible in Sweden, and you never grow tired of The SEO's).
Looking forward to your advice
Joakim
Gotland, Sweddb

Hi Joakim

Welcome

I live in the north of England and some one living in London might have a better idea of the best places.
But RSPB Rainham marsh seems like a place to research. Also WWT London Wetland Centre

Good Luck and enjoy your trip

In November, I'd recommend going to the north Norfolk coast. Maybe stay near Titchwell. Maybe just over 3 hours from Richmond. Elmley waders tend to be pretty distant but they are usually closer at Oare Marshes but the good Kent sites are pretty spread out.

Hi,
Living in Sweden with 2 birding kids.
We're visting friends in London late october /early november and would like to add 2 nights of nature and birding to The trip. Rental car and accomodation at som Nice location. We were looking at Elmley but The accomodations in the reserve seems fully booked, and im not so sure regarding the rest of the sheppey Island?
Mostly interested in waders, preferrably from less than scoping distances (love lying on a beach and photo them). Possibilitys for owls (barn owl and little owls nearly impossible in Sweden, and you never grow tired of The SEO's).
Looking forward to your advice
Joakim
Gotland, Sweddb

I think you will struggle to find nice accomodation on Sheppey off the reserve - I don't like to put Sheppey down, but it's a very deprived part of the UK and not really somewhere ideal for a holiday. Oare Marshes across the water is probably better for close waders although not as good for owls. Faversham nearby has a decent range of accommodation too, and it's not a long drive to Sheppey for a day's birding (check opening times though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back