- Capital: Djibouti
- Area: 23,200 sq km
- Population: 957,200
- Languages: Arabic, French, Somali, Afar
The Republic of Djibouti lies at the southern end of the Red Sea on the western side of the Bab el-Mandeb Strait above the Horn of Africa. It is surrounded by Eritrea in the north, Ethiopia in the west and Somalia in the southeast. Over the Red Sea to the east lies the Republic of Yemen. The deepwater port in Djibouti. services the Red Sea and Suez Canal shipping, as well that using the Indian Ocean. is the largest source of employment and income for the country. There are 2 inland lakes, both of them saline.
- Lake Assal lies at the lowest land point in Africa at 155 m, 509 feet below sea level. The lake has been used for salt excavation.
- Lake Abbe, or Lake Abhe Bad lies on the border with Ethiopia. It one of six lakes connected in a chain. The other five are in Ethiopia.
- Lake Ghoubet is open to the sea and lies to the south of Lake Assal and open into the Gulf of Tadjoura.
The highest mountain is Mount Mousa in the northwest at 2,028 metres, 6,654 feet.
The coolest part of the year is from October to April and is a typically Mediterranean climate. Temperatures range from the low 20s °C to low 30s °C, low 70s °F to the mid-80s °F with low humidity.
The hot part of the year is from May to September. Temperatures range from the low 30s °C to the mid-40s °C, mid-80s °F to the low 110s °F with high humidity.
In the mountains, temperatures may drop to the low to mid-10s °C, low to mid-50s °F.
In the Dry season, rainfall is limited and normally falls over 26 day period. Coastal regions receive 130 mm, 5 inches of rain annually. The north and the mountains receive about 380 mm, 15 inches of rain annually. The rainy season is between January and March, with flash floods at sea level.
Djibouti Francolin endemic
Areas of Interest
- Day Forest National Park
- BBC, Djibouti country profile, April 2023, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-13231761
- Catherine C. Cutbill et Al, Britannica, January 2024, https://www.britannica.com/place/Djibouti
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2024) Djibouti. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 21 February 2024 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Djibouti
This category currently contains no pages or media.