• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finsch’s or Mourning? (1 Viewer)

Muratfaik

I took these pictures in Diyarbakır-Turkey in March 19th… the bird shows both finsch’s and mourning wheatear characters. Light orange undertail coverts and white upper back suspects me that this bird can be a subspecies of one of these species. Opinions please. Thanks. AB3B9A4E-2448-46C6-B26B-26A808D84CAB.jpeg4283DD51-3365-465E-9598-664F327A16BF.jpeg

I took these pictures in Diyarbakır-Turkey in March 19th… the bird shows both finsch’s and mourning wheatear characters. Light orange undertail coverts and white upper back suspects me that this bird can be a subspecies of one of these species. Opinions please. Thanks. View attachment 1505804View attachment 1505805
Small head & bill, plus the undertail being peachy would always lead me to call Mourning in the first instance.

However, I recognise this is out of range.

Neither photo really gives a clear impression of the bird, and would really need better photos and notes to be certain.

How many records have there been of Mourning in Turkey?

I am not sure how many times recorded previously, but recently, photographed for the first time:

The real question is; whether peachy undertail feathers or the white back is the more important identification criteria for selecting the species to which it belongs…

The real question is; whether peachy undertail feathers or the white back is the more important identification criteria for selecting the species to which it belongs…
Certainly the white versus black back is diagnostic for separation of the two species, and a photo of the upper side would be conclusive.

However, in terms of the undertail colouring, my understanding is that Finsch's has white undertail in the spring and only in the autumn would you find Finsch's with peachy colouring and extremely rarely one as extensive as in the photo. I see most of these species each year, but I would not say that I have extensive experience across the full moult sequence.

The bird in photos that was taken in 2011 is a suspiciously identified since the bill is too stout for mourning wheatear and the ‘wariae’ is not an long range migratory bird. In adition to that, legs are too thick for O. lugens.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back