• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Jay Call (2 Viewers)

Wild Ideas

United States
The Blue Jays where I now live (in Virginia, near the Allegheny Mts.) have a call that I can't find in the Merlin app, or even in the Macaulay Library. I thought they might be mimicking some songbird, but they use it frequently and seem to be talking to each other. I'm starting to wonder if this is not part of a dialect for Blue Jays in this area. I've attached a recording (taken on my cell phone). If anyone has heard other jays using this call, please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• Blue Jays 2_24_03_18_10_21_46.mp3
    234.3 KB
Still don't hear anything, I tried on my tablet too but the sound is so faint I can't make anything out of it.

Sounds to me like a variation on what Donald Kroodsma refers to as the “pump handle” type of blue jay call, one of the five types of blue jay calls categorized by Kroodsma. There’s a good YouTube video series in several parts describing the variety in blue jay calls and sounds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back