• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Røde VideoMic Me (1 Viewer)

Ruff-Leg

United States
In previous posts, I have mentioned this microphone as a small form-factor solution to recording bird sounds. And, I've usually denigrated the recording app which the company recommends - the Røde Reporter. I had found it unreliable, and the sharing feature (pushing to cloud storage) generally non-functional.

With a new version of the app, I've completely changed my opinion.

I was experiencing some electronic interference while recording with the VideoMic Me-C (there's an iPhone version), usually after about 15-30 seconds. After searching for a resolution I came across a YouTube video suggesting a firmware update to the microphone, available from the Reporter app. I re-installed the app, updated the firmware, and the microphone / recording app works perfectly for me!

Why am I keen on the app? My purpose in recording is to document birds, attach the edited recordings (I trim and normalize with OcenAudio), then send the recordings to Macaulay Library via eBird, and then to Xeno-canto. There are several recording apps available, but Macaulay's preferred format is 48 Khz sampling rate at 24-bit depth. Merlin is 44.1 / 16-bit, and has no gain adjustment. RecForge II is 48 KHz, but still 16 bits. The Røde app records at my desired 48 Khz with a bit depth of 24.

My use over a couple of weeks has been that the app is stable, and shares easily to cloud storage. Is it as good as my Zoom H5 / SGH-6 combo? No. And certainly not up to the capabilities of a 32-bit float recorder with a long shotgun or parabola.

But, here's the form factor, attached to my Google Pixel 8 and a short USB extension to fit my case (the microphone is perpendicular to the phone - the odd angle is a product of a wide-angle lens):

PXL_20240407_161649978.jpg

It makes serendipitous recordings so much more convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back