• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker and fir cones (1 Viewer)

gerald762

England
Today I saw a Greater spotted woodpecker carry a fir cone to a maple tree. There it proceeded to peck at it for 10-15 minutes. There cannot have been enough insects in the cone to last that long so I assume that it was eating the seeds in the cone.
Is this normal?

Yes, this is common behaviour. Fir and pine seeds are an important food source for Great Spotted Woodpeckers.
They can have preferred locations to hack away, called anvils:

Yep, they jam the pine cones into crevices in branches.
Here you can see a Greater Spotted Woodpecker having at least three fir cones jammed into the crevices of a branch in a row:

In German we call it "Spechtschmiede" ("Woodpecker's Forge")

Thank you for that video. During the last few days a pair of Great spotted woodpeckers have come to my bird table. They pick up sunflower seeds that have fallen onto the lawn and then they walk up the bird table post and put the seeds into a crack in the post, where they eat them,

I remember seeing this behaviour in the Southern Netherlands where I was living in the late 1960's. Squirrels pull the cones apart from the base while Woodpeckers go in from the tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back