• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

Thanks Lisa, and Chris.

Yeah I've been in love with Silvereyes for a long time!!

Sorry Alex, we cross posted and I didn't see your one there till just now.

Yeah, apparently there was a split back in 2015 and Swan River Honeyeater is what this one from Western Australia got called (it's since been renamed Gilbert's Honeyeater I see!).

It seems your one is the only picture in the Gallery for this species so far, which makes it all the more frustrating that I couldn't get at this one!!!

Swan River Honeyeater is what it's still called in my book.

Thanks Larry. Guess that's the trouble with books, they're likely to be out of date before they're even printed!! LOL

The last one for the garden that morning was a Red-capped Parrot; shortly after we set off on another excursion.

First stop was on the outskirts of Albany at what I'll call the Princess Royal Drive Ponds Alex dropped me and Judy off while he ran an errand in town.

They're a bit overgrown but you can get spaces to view through to the water in places.

See if you can spot how many cormorants are in that picture, both Little Black and Little Pied are there!

Then followed up with some ducks, Pacific Black and Chestnut Teal (they're stunning I think).

We then had a little bird flying across and both Judy and I said in unison "I'm sure that's a Sandpiper" (but I didn't know what species were around in these parts). I watched where it went.... in the dark under an overhang, so clicked on the area in hope. And there it was a Common Sandpiper - my own one! LOL The only one I saw out there.

Attachments

• BF Red-capped Parrot thread.jpg
    BF Red-capped Parrot thread.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Little Black & Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Little Black & Little Pied Cormorant thread.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Chestnut Tead thread.jpg
    BF Chestnut Tead thread.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Common Sandpiper thread.jpg
    BF Common Sandpiper thread.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 23
It's a Gilbert's Honeyeater Delia .Genetic study has shown that it is a species in it's own right , the Black-headed Honeyeater is in fact it's closest relative not the White-naped Honeyeater .

Yeah!! Thanks Ken. I'd not thought to look in The Opus first before uploading the picture here. It wasn't till I answered Alex that I discovered that.

I'd gone on the name in my book LOL

That's interesting about being closer to the Black-headed HE too. Thanks lad.

By creeping round some bushes we did manage to get some closer views of some cormorants and ducks. The first picture has Little Black Cormorant and Pacific Black Duck, the second shows Little Pied Cormorant.

We then set of to go through town to Emu Point, right at the bottom of Oyster Harbour. First having a look round the boatyard area, then heading for the rather nice cafe. So the fourth picture is taken from in front of the cafe. Finally, from a car parking area round the other side, a picture at the entrance to Oyster Harbour from the King George Sound.

A very scenic area this.

Attachments

• BF Little Black Cormorant, Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Little Black Cormorant, Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Little Pied Cormorant 1 thread.jpg
    BF Little Pied Cormorant 1 thread.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Emu Point boatyard.jpg
    BF Emu Point boatyard.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 15
  • BB Emu Point thread.jpg
    BB Emu Point thread.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Oyster Harbour entrance thread.jpg
    BF Oyster Harbour entrance thread.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 13
Just caught up on a massive ten pages of posts - great stuff - nothing says baby dinosaur like a Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater!

Cheers
Mike

I have never been a "list keeper " nor am i interested if some so called expert decides that a bird has one millionth of a percent of the X factor more than he thinks it should. The bird will go on living quite happily regardless of what i call it. I also don't record "lifers".
Having visited some 45 countries i imagine i could have a long list but to me it seems a pointless exercise. I will continue enjoying my birding without the technological advances of pen and notebook.

Alex

Just caught up on a massive ten pages of posts - great stuff - nothing says baby dinosaur like a Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater!

Cheers
Mike

Gosh!! That's dedication!!! I hope I didn't let you down Mike?

On the way home from Emu Point, we called in at Lake Seppings again.

We'd hardly moved away from the car when I spotted this female Western Whistler on the path.

Next I had the sun in my eyes, so didn't get the best picture of a Welcome Swallow..... och well! Out on the water were an Australasian Grebe (looking hoary-backed with that sun on him LOL) and a Pacific Black Duck.

Overlooking them was a Little Black Cormorant.

Attachments

• BF Golden Whistler female thread.jpg
    BF Golden Whistler female thread.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    BF Welcome Swallow thread.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 45
  • BF Australasian Grebe thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Grebe thread.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 10
  • BF Pacific Black Duck 1 thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck 1 thread.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 10
  • BF Little Black Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Little Black Cormorant thread.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 29
We walked in a different direction today and picked up a board walk through the reed bed. For once I managed to get a picture of a damselfly.... then I'm not sure how she did it, but Judy spotted a gorgeous frog sitting beside the reeds - he was far better camouflaged than my picture suggests!

A Eurasian Coot was studying his reflection before breaking the surface and diving in.... as they do when you're trying to photograph them!

Then we finished off this visit with a rather cute lizard.

Other species seen/heard on our excursion were Silver Gull, Australian Ibis, Maned Duck, Hardhead, Bluebill,Wedge-tailed Eagle, New Holland Honeyeater (got an alarm call on my phone too!), Silvereye and Australian Swamphen.

Attachments

• BF Lake Seppings Board Walk thread.jpg
    BF Lake Seppings Board Walk thread.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Damselfly thread.jpg
    BF Damselfly thread.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Green Frog thread.jpg
    BF Green Frog thread.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 10
  • BF Lizard thread.jpg
    BF Lizard thread.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 16
Albany Ponds & Sharp Point Woods

12 November 2019

Starting with a few in the garden and my first juvenile Australian Magpie, then I closed in on the iridescence on a Common Bronzewing, it really is stunning when the light catches it right.

Finally a pretty Western Rosella.

Then we set off to the ponds outside Albany again and I was immediately entranced by this flowering Banksia. And we were thrilled to see that the Common Sandpiper was still there... and although distant, allowed me to get a better picture with him out in the open. He was so well camouflaged, I had to work out where he was from a bush on top of the bank, work my way down to the shoreline and click and hope he'd not moved!!

Attachments

• BF Australian Magpie, juvenile.jpg
    BF Australian Magpie, juvenile.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Common Bronzewing close thread.jpg
    BF Common Bronzewing close thread.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 71
  • BF Western Rosella thread.jpg
    BF Western Rosella thread.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 32
  • BF Banksia thread.jpg
    BF Banksia thread.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Common Sandpiper thread.jpg
    BF Common Sandpiper thread.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 20
Continuing our exploration of these ponds, the next ones I could get at were a pair of Chestnut Teal and shortly after a Pacific Black Duck.

A Little Black Cormorant was sitting atop a bush, but an Australian Ibis was sitting in the brush on one of the little islands.

The last picture in this set shows the length of one of the ponds from the car parking area.

Attachments

• BF Chestnut Teal thread.jpg
    BF Chestnut Teal thread.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 11
  • BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 9
  • BF Little Black Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Little Black Cormorant thread.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ibis thread.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Princess Royal Drive Ponds thread.jpg
    BF Princess Royal Drive Ponds thread.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 16
We stayed awhile in the parking area and I'm glad we did, for a Hardhead then appeared; it seemed to be ages since I'd last seen one!

Also in this area was a Maned Duck, a Willy Wagtail (still can't stop smiling when I think of them!) and a juvenile Eurasian Coot.

We then wandered along the road for a bit, wondering what we could see from there, looking down onto the water, but all we got before Alex returned to pick us up was, I think, a King Skink.... isn't he gorgeous.

Attachments

• BF Hardhead thread.jpg
    BF Hardhead thread.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Willie Wagtail thread.jpg
    BF Willie Wagtail thread.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Eurasian Coot juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Eurasian Coot juvenile thread.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Poss King Skink thread.jpg
    BF Poss King Skink thread.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 15
Back home for lunch and the most splendid Splendid Fairywren, both male and female had come in; she has such a pretty blue tail too! Think that was the only time I saw them in the garden.

Also in for refreshments were a Silvereye, the Zebra Finch and another (I think juvie) Australian Magpie.

Attachments

• BF Splendid Fairywren thread.jpg
    BF Splendid Fairywren thread.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Splendid Fairywren female thread.jpg
    BF Splendid Fairywren female thread.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 37
  • BF Silvereye thread.jpg
    BF Silvereye thread.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 11
  • BF Zebra Finch thread.jpg
    BF Zebra Finch thread.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Australian Magpie 1 thread.jpg
    BF Australian Magpie 1 thread.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back