• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Six Day Texas Trip (1 Viewer)

SueO

February 8-13
I needed to get away and spend some quality time with Mother Nature, so I started looking for birding places to visit. I didn't want to be too cold. I came upon Texas and the Whooping Cranes, and I knew I found my destination. Originally, I was thinking of a road trip, but decided Aransas National Wildlife Refuge was a bit far. It would take 4 or 5 days to get there...then I'd have to come back. So, I booked a flight into San Antonio and a room in Rockport and rented a car.

Incredulously, my cheapo small car didn't have a navigation system on it. I figured all cars today had those. My car is a 2011 and it has one. It did have a communications screen and supposedly one could hook a phone to it and navigate that way. Uh oh. I use my phone for calls and texting. Period. I haven't been on BF for awhile, but those with long memories will remember that I have referred to myself as, Wilma Flintstone in the past. I am still she.

I brought a paper map and planned out a course. Rockport was only about 2 and a half hours from San Antonio, how hard could that be? I knew it would be dark by the time I got there, and decided I did not want to drive through Corpus Christi and a bridge to get to Rockford, so I decided to turn off the main Hwy 37 just south of Mathis and get there via St. Hwy188. It didn't take me long to figure out that I had to get over my electronic connection fear/phobia/ignorance thing and somehow connect my phone to the Toyota commuter computer. It wasn't dark yet, but I knew that once it was, I'd be up a creek because I was out in the boonies. I got things connected and thought I had things right, but there was no female 'Hal' talking to me.

The sun went down and all I saw in the deepest dark was the yellow-orange reflectors on the road and a feeble half dome of light in front of the car. It seemed as though I had been driving for three days without seeing anything and I was beginning to get a bit worried about finding my way, when suddenly a calming voice told me that in 1/4 of a mile, I was to turn left. To say I was relieved would be an understatement.

By 6 the next morning, I was on my way to the refuge. I found the Whooper, but it was too far away to really 'see'. By then, the visitors center was open and half my blood was drained by the mosquitos. I really was dense enough to think that since it was winter, mozzies wouldn't be a problem. I bought some spray and some lucky bird socks at the gift shop and chatted with the lady while she rang things up. She told me I should go to the 'Big Tree' in Goose Island Park to see the birds. I didn't stay at the refuge and take my time birding. No, I was on a nearly fanatical mission to see a Whooping Crane; I found them and had wonderful views. They were in a field with Sandhill Cranes and Roseate Spoonbills. By this time, I was hungry and found Stevie Lew's BBQ on the way back to the hotel. I mentioned I had just seen the Whoopers and tomorrow would be looking for an Aplomado Falcon. The host knew exactly where I was planning to go and advised me to take the ferry to Mustang Island rather than drive into Corpus Christi.

Next morning I woke at my own rhythm. I was tired and didn't get out until 9:30. Took the easy and free ferry and drove down the Island to find the falcon. I knew from prior reading that the Mustang Island State Park, the Peregrine Fund and Us Fish and Wildlife were working together to help increase these beautiful birds.

News Release: May 22, 2020: Endangered Aplomado Falcon Chicks Banded at Mustang Island State Park

I found a platform with two birds perched. I have wanted to see an Aplomado for years, so I was very happy with the day. I drove back toward Rockport and stopped along to way to bird at a few of the numerous 'Birding Trail' sites which were clearly marked with distinctive signs.

I will continue this long-winded story later, but for now, I'll cut to the chase and post my trip's bird list.

*Lifer

Gadwall
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Redhead
Ruddy Duck
Wild Turkey
Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican
Brown Pelican
Double-crested Cormornat
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Reddish Egret
Black-crowned Night Heron
White Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Northern Harrier
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Crested Caracara
American Kestrel
Aplomado Falcon*
Common Moorhen
American Coot
Sandhill Crane
Whooping Crane*
Black-bellied Plover
Killdeer
Willet
Long-billed Curlew
Long-billed Dowitcher
Forster's Tern
Eurasian Collared Dove
White-winged Dove
Mourning Dove
Inca Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Great Kiskadee
Couch's Kingbird*
Loggerhead Shrike
White-eyed Vireo*
Green Jay*
Verdin (juvenile)? Can't think what else it could be. Very small bird, slender and grey. About the size of my Allen's Hummingbirds at home. Only saw for a heartbeat, but I saw it well, and couldn't find again. It was in a very tangled (but bare) bunch of bushes. It was crazy I couldn't find it again. It's on the bird list for the Refuge (which is where I saw it) but listed as rare.
House Wren
Marsh Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Long-billed Thrasher*
Sprague's Pipit*
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Common Yellow-throat
Savannah Sparrow
House Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Great-tailed Grackle

Attachments

• lshrike.JPG
    lshrike.JPG
    396.8 KB · Views: 17
  • cbt.JPG
    cbt.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Wiley (1).JPG
    Wiley (1).JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
Happy you got both the crane and the falcon. Sounds like a great trip - so far.

I can happily relate to your I.T. / tech difficulties Sue :)-. At least you worked it out!

Great birding so far and a nice report. Long-billed Thrasher.........very nice bird!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back