• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree/Meadow Pipit? (1 Viewer)

Frost1976

I'm afraid I don't have a picture but I was wondering whether someone wiser than me might have an idea about difference.

Couple of days ago near Chagmore, Dartmoor, I saw a pipit alight on a tree on farmland. There was a forest one side, farmland the other.

I thought it was probably a Meadow but the barring on the wings (Median I think is the right term) seemed quite pronounced (ie white/bright) and that was what made me wonder. I've read about the streaking on the belly but I've only learned that since.

I appreciate that without a photo, it's all academic, but does anyone know if a) it's the right habitat and b) that's a good way of telling em apart or will it depend on the bird?

Meadows will often perch in trees.

A good look at the bill (thicker and pinkish based in Tree, thinner and yellowish based in Mipit), the flank streaking thickness ( more delicate and fainter in Tree), the hind claw length (hard to see in the field! Mipits have seriously long ones...), the call (try xeno-canto's sound files..)

These are some starting points. There are more in a "suite of features" that separate the two. I'm sure others will add some of their useful pointers!

Not much to go on here for myself. I don't know the area and suitability for Tree Pipit there. But it may be worth visiting a site well known for Tree Pipit (maybe in Surrey itself?) and having a better start from that action?

Learning the calls and song of Tripit might also help?

http://www.xeno-canto.org/europe/browse.php?query=tree+pipit

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back