• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Pipits - UK (1 Viewer)

Georgebirds

United Kingdom
I've been finding pipits really difficult to tell apart, so far I've been counting them all as Meadow but wondering if I have any Tree amongst them? Here's a few of the best photos I've managed, would appreciate any confirmation from people who know these birds much better than I do!

PipitA.JPG
Pipit A (Holme dunes, Norfolk)

PipitB1.JPG
Pipit B (Thornham, Norfolk)

PipitB2.JPG
Pipit B again

PipitC1.JPG
Pipits C, Wild Ken Hill (between the grazing marsh and the sea banks, the bit which burnt out in wildfires), Snettisham, Norfolk

PipitC3.JPG
Pipit C again. There were two of them flying bush to bush as I walked, not entirely sure if the 'C' pics are the same bird all the way through, but as they were hanging out together I'm assuming two of the same species

PipitC2.JPG
Pipit C

PipitC4.JPG
Pipit C

PipitC5.JPG
Pipit C

PipitD.JPG
Pipit D, Nene washes, Eldernell

PipitD2.JPG
Pipit D

PipitD3.JPG
Pipit D

PipitE.JPG
Pipit E (also Eldernell)

Hello,
do you have more pictures of Pipit B?

Yes it might well be a Meadow Pipit, but
  • Overall colouration is good for Rock Pipit (but shifted towards this by extremly high iso, camera settings and light situation?)
  • Dark legs
  • Yes, streaks on the underparts are distinct and sharp, but cant loose the feeling that there to many rows on the breast and this is better for Rock Pipit

Hello,
do you have more pictures of Pipit B?

Yes it might well be a Meadow Pipit, but
  • Overall colouration is good for Rock Pipit (but shifted towards this by extremly high iso, camera settings and light situation?)
  • Dark legs
  • Yes, streaks on the underparts are distinct and sharp, but cant loose the feeling that there to many rows on the breast and this is better for Rock Pipit
Looks well within range for Meadow Pipit to me. I see both species very regularly and the underpart streaking is not normal for Rock. Also, the mantle streaking is very well defined.

I'm inclined to agree with Alexander, Pipit B could be a Rock Pipit. In addition to the points already made, the bill looks better for Rock and the hind claw looks normal size (compare with Pipit E photo)!

Shane

Let me grab the other photos I got of 'B', Rock Pipit would be a lifer for me so I don't want it on the list if it's not certain, nor would I want to leave it off if people here are sure enough. That's the extra question here, I suppose, being confident enough from these bad pics on a very grey day - not only could it be a Rock Pipit, but sure enough that you'd count it?

Attachments

• B1.JPG
    B1.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 33
  • B2.JPG
    B2.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 34
  • B3.JPG
    B3.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 33
  • B4.JPG
    B4.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 34
Let me grab the other photos I got of 'B', Rock Pipit would be a lifer for me so I don't want it on the list if it's not certain, nor would I want to leave it off if people here are sure enough. That's the extra question here, I suppose, being confident enough from these bad pics on a very grey day - not only could it be a Rock Pipit, but sure enough that you'd count it?
You can be absolutely certain... that it's a Meadow Pipit.

Hello,
thanks for the pictures!

And while its still a hard bird for me, I think Andrew is right, thanks!

I havent seen a Meadow Pipit with real blackish (not only dark) legs before and your last picture seems to show pale (enough) ones.
The appearant short claw of the hindtoe, judged by the first picture seems slightly longer in the new picture B2, so within variation for both (although on the long side for a Rock? I am far from an expert in this, only use it when the monster claw of a Meadow is visible in the field, and not with appearant shortish ones
And looking at the first picture again, I think I can just make out the right olivey lime-green hues on the secondaries and primaries. Such a waek, just discernable panel is offen still visible on dran Meadow Pipits, but its a feature against Rock Pipit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back