• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History of Warwickshire: Fauna & Flora (1 Viewer)

a few mother's in Solihull caught moths last night, temperatures are higher in city areas..
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/warwickshiremoths/

Regards, John

Ermm, i can dispell that belief. You are much very much better off in a sheltered woodland site with no LIGHT POLUTION.

Honestly mate, putting the wet spring weather conditions aside, numbers caught in my traps are very poor compared to 20 years ago. I did a report on this subject about five years ago for the proposed re-development of Digbeth.

What happened?

I got these stinking great big lamps replacing the older ones outside my house, and the catch has gone down 75 per cent.

I hardly bother now:C

Did have two Small Ranuculous on the same night though, which was the only higihlight in a poor year.

Mothing

Ermm, i can dispell that belief. You are much very much better off in a sheltered woodland site with no LIGHT POLUTION.

Honestly mate, putting the wet spring weather conditions aside, numbers caught in my traps are very poor compared to 20 years ago. I did a report on this subject about five years ago for the proposed re-development of Digbeth.

What happened?

I got these stinking great big lamps replacing the older ones outside my house, and the catch has gone down 75 per cent.

I hardly bother now:C

Did have two Small Ranuculous on the same night though, which was the only higihlight in a poor year.

Dave,
I don't believe many people are in a position to go into a sheltered Woodland position with no light pollution at night regulary, particulary Mary and also the cost of a generator. Mother's all over the Country get some nights hundreds of moth's in their garden traps despite living in sub-urban street lit areas, myself included

Regards, John

Dave,
I don't believe many people are in a position to go into a sheltered Woodland position with no light pollution at night regulary, particulary Mary and also the cost of a generator. Mother's all over the Country get some nights hundreds of moth's in their garden traps despite living in sub-urban street lit areas, myself included

Regards, John

I dont, and have not for ages, not since these new lamps and the Hospital went up!

Added together, its a problem. Ive seen the results from other peoples traps compared to mine on the same night and area and feel like killing the cat lol.

I do have some interesting species turn up, and im still adding to the Garden list so maybe not that bad. But i no longer get "several" hundred in the garden anymore.

I can go half a click somewhere else, and get impressive catches, so maybe something else is adding to the low garden numbers?

Hi Mary, Generally moths don't like windy conditions. I went to the local woods because I did not think I would catch much in my garden, moths don't fly far in the cold, it was not windy at Hartshill, a few mother's in Solihull caught moths last night, temperatures are higher in city areas. It should be busy in the garden a bit later as many moths have delayed hatching due to the pro-longed cold spell. I would suggest you join Warks moth group to see how others are fareing.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/warwickshiremoths/

Regards, John

Thanks, John, will do.
One thing that fascinated me last Autumn was seeing moths flying at night in pouring rain. They were feeding at the Geraniums and Petunias. I also have a small bed of wildflowers for butterflies, and I'm dying to know what moths are visiting them as well!

Mothing

Thanks, John, will do.
One thing that fascinated me last Autumn was seeing moths flying at night in pouring rain. They were feeding at the Geraniums and Petunias. I also have a small bed of wildflowers for butterflies, and I'm dying to know what moths are visiting them as well!

Look forward to hearing about your catches Mary, if you post any unknown's on the Warks Moth Group Dave Brown one of the best moth men in the Country particulary pugs, will I.D when all the other members are not sure.
Moths can fly in the rain but can also drown in a moth trap if your not careful.

Regards, John

6/4/13 Today's warmer and sunny day has produced a widespread hatch of small insects, I also saw 2 Bumble Bees, but no Butterflies, I would say a few Butterflies would have been seen today further south in the Country.

Regards, John

11/4/13 trap results Rytpn Pools CP By the ranger Ben
Good night at Ryton Pools last night! 107 moths of 12 species in 3 125W MV traps! As follows:

Common Quaker (50)
Small Quaker (20)
Clouded Drab (11)
Hebrew Character (12)
Satellite (2)
Yellow Horned (3)
Oak Beauty (3)
Chestnut (1)
March Moth (1)
Pine Beauty (1)
Grey Shoulder-knot (2)
Early Thorn (1)

Garden Mothing

Garden Mothing has only just started at Hartshill with either Cold nights or Windy/wet nights or both.
Trapped last night the third year of Garden moth trapping and a new for Garden species Brindled Beauty.
Light Brown Apple moth,
Emmelina monodactyla,
Small Quaker 4,
Hebrew Character,
Common Quaker 4,
Brindled Beauty 2,
Double-striped Pug,
Clouded Drab,
Early Grey,
Also a Carrion Beetle
pictures of Early Grey between shed panels and Brindled Beauty.

Regards, John

Speckled wood and holly blue butterflies on the wing at Kingsbury Water Park today. Also, bluebells just coming through, cowslips in flower, garlic mustard, cuckoo-flower and wild garlic now in flower too.

Adam

Dingy skippers are on the wing at Pooley Country Park. If you head from the visitor centre, over the canal bridge, alongside the M42 and turn right under the motorway (alongside the green fencing), they are on you right on the meadow area. I saw 2 today just walking through, would be good to get a count of how many are in the colony.

Adam

Dingy Skippers

Dingy skippers are on the wing at Pooley Country Park. If you head from the visitor centre, over the canal bridge, alongside the M42 and turn right under the motorway (alongside the green fencing), they are on you right on the meadow area. I saw 2 today just walking through, would be good to get a count of how many are in the colony.

Adam

The HS2 is planned to go through this meadow. Regards, John

It is indeed John. Luckily dingy skipper are found in other places on the site. I found a couple in the Butterfly Meadow yesterday, along with my first small copper of the year.

Adam

I located a new Dingy Skipper colony Hartshill area yesterday and also found a remnant population c40 plants of Wood Horsetail, a Warwickshire Rarity and only 5 known sites 1974-2007 all in North Warwickshire the Hartshill site is a new site, it appears Botanist looking in the area until know have missed this small population.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back