• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History of Warwickshire: Fauna & Flora (1 Viewer)

Hartshill Moorwood Garden moth trapping

28/11/13 Trapping last night
Light Brown Apple moth 1
Winter Moth 1
December moth 1 NFG
Pic 1 and pic 2 December moth day roosting on a concrete slab. The winter moth and December moth did not go into the trap the winter moth was on my shed and the December moth on the garage wall and was on the concrete slab below this morning.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 012#037.jpg
    012#037.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 008#062.jpg
    008#062.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
9/3/14 So far this year we have had sunny days but the previous night has been very cold or very wet, last night was not cold and not wet , this led to a surge in insects early morning with a show of Butterlies early afternoon with Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and male Brimstone showed in a brief time window.
A Goat Willow in flower was full of bees with around 50 bumble Bees mostly Bombus terrestris but at least 3 Tree Bumble Bees seen and at least 3 mining Bee seen.
A Great Tit came in and took a Bumble Bee.
Should be a good night for moths tonight.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Goat Willow

I returned to the Goat Willow around 10 p.m to find it full of moths nectaring on the Goat Willow flowers mostly Common Quaker but also seen in the lower flowered area were Hebrew Character 2, Grey Shoulder-knot 1, Satellie 2, Angleshades 1, Pale Pinion 1.

pic 1 Satellite
pic 2 Pale Pinion

Picures taken with a torch and mobile phone camera.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 067#001.jpg
    067#001.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 073#001.jpg
    073#001.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I returned to the Goat Willow around 10 p.m to find it full of moths necturing on the Goat Willow flowers mostly Common Quaker but also seen in the lower flowered area were Hebrew Character 2, Grey Shoulder-knot 1, Satellie 2, Angleshades 1, Pale Pinion 1.

pic 1 Satellite
pic 2 Pale Pinion

Picures taken with a torch and mobile phone camera.

Regards, John

That must have been a superb sight, John. Great pics! I keep meaning to check a winter honeysuckle in the garden after dark, though as it's not native, there's less chance I suppose.

That must have been a superb sight, John. Great pics! I keep meaning to check a winter honeysuckle in the garden after dark, though as it's not native, there's less chance I suppose.

Hi Mary,
The moths won't worry about origin of plant as they go for a good nectar source, Buddleia is a hybrid with a Chinese plant and hybridised in France and has you know Butterflies go for the nectar in Summer.
However a Goat Willow is a huge nectar source and close to good habitat whereas at this time of year moths flying to gardens would be limited until the temperatures rises.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Hi Mary,
The moths won't worry about origin of plant as they go for a good nectar source, Buddleia is a hybrid with a Chinese plant and hybridised in France and has you know Butterflies go for the nectar in Summer.
However a Goat Willow is a huge nectar source and close to good habitat whereas at this time of year moths flying to gardens would be limited until the temperatures rises.

Regards, John

I had a look last night, but nothing flying around the flowers. Put the trap out for the 3rd time this year, and finally 5 moths! 1 Oak Beauty NFG and it's named so well!

9/3/14 2 new for Garden, Oak Beauty and Yellow Horned also an Early Thorn, 3 Common Quaker's also.

pic 1 Oak Beauty pic 2 Yellow Horned pic 3 Early Thorn

Regards, John

Attachments

• 012#038.jpg
    012#038.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 002#081.jpg
    002#081.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 010#051.jpg
    010#051.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 47
Garden Heather

Plenty of Heather in flower in gardens at Hartshill, I believe it's widespread in other areas, our native Heathers are in flower at the end of the summer but these are in flower now.
Explaination, these are Erica carnea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erica_carnea Small Tortoiseshell are finding the nectar to their liking.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 002#082.jpg
    002#082.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 73

2014 being my 4th year of garden moth trapping with 205 macro moth species recorded in my back garden, it's a wonder I get any new species now.
16/3/14 again a new species for garden (NFG)
Pale Pinion pic 1 so 206 macro species now recorded in the garden.
pic 2 Small Quaker and pic 3 early micro Diurnea fagella.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 010#052.jpg
    010#052.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 013#027.jpg
    013#027.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 006#051.jpg
    006#051.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

29/4/14 60 w actinic min temp 12.3 c
Toadflax Pug 1
Brindled Pug 5
Shuttle-shaped Dart 2
Small Quaker 1
Muslin moth 1
Common Quaker 1
Iron Prominent 1
Nutmeg 1
Light Brown Apple moth 1
Twenty plume moth 1
Carrion Beetle 1

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back