• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (1 Viewer)

harry eales said:
Hello Steve,

There are, I understand, recent records of this cracking Shieldbug from Kent and Sussex, I even have a specimen in my own collection which was found in Co.Durham. (a suspected accidental import).

It is likely, that like the Southern Green Shieldbug N.viridula it has been present for a year or two or more, but hasn't been detected simply because there are far to few people interested in seeking them out.

Just today I received from the National Recorder of Hemiptera a VC listing of where Pentatomid Shieldbugs have been recorded. This shows post 1960 records from 3 VC's these are:- 9 Dorset, 14 E.Sussex and 27 E.Norfolk. This list a preliminary one, but it is also the most recent.

It would seem, that at least on Bird Forum, The 'Shieldbug Thread' has encouraged some people to photgraph and post the pictures for identification, so at least these bugs are getting some publicity nowadays.

Thanks for the info,

Regards,

Harry
Perhaps they meant that this looks like the first genuine migrant as opposed to 'veg assisted' ;)
Regarding generating interest; the recent publication of a couple of decent field guides will help [as did Hammond's Dragonfly Guide for odonata in the 80's]Also the advent of digital cameras I think encourages people to 'record' what they see out of curiosity in the knowledge they aren't 'wasting' film on subjects other than their main interest. These can then be posted to special interest groups such as ours and various yahoo groups. There is such a lot of negative talk about the internet that it's nice to cite this situation where it is positively beneficial :clap:
Apparently this is another species that feed on various brassicas so ought to spread as long as the climate suits it. David Slade was stated as the finder - do you know of him Harry?

steve covey said:
Perhaps they meant that this looks like the first genuine migrant as opposed to 'veg assisted' ;)
Regarding generating interest; the recent publication of a couple of decent field guides will help [as did Hammond's Dragonfly Guide for odonata in the 80's]Also the advent of digital cameras I think encourages people to 'record' what they see out of curiosity in the knowledge they aren't 'wasting' film on subjects other than their main interest. These can then be posted to special interest groups such as ours and various yahoo groups. There is such a lot of negative talk about the internet that it's nice to cite this situation where it is positively beneficial :clap:
Apparently this is another species that feed on various brassicas so ought to spread as long as the climate suits it. David Slade was stated as the finder - do you know of him Harry?

Hello Steve,
I only know the name not the person himself. As I understand it E.dominulus has been found in the wild previously, but it will take more than one specimen to start a colony.

I agree with you about digital cameras they are a boon, I've got two of them, but haven't the time to learn how to use them properly. lol.

I have noted in the Portland site has claimed 'firsts' in the past which didn't always turn out to be correct. They seem to have cut down this year on their insect reports.

Harry

Last edited:
harry eales said:
Hello Steve,

I have noted in the Portland site has claimed 'firsts' in the past which didn't always turn out to be correct. They seem to have cut down this year on their insect reports.

Harry
Yes, very quick off the mark sometimes - but at least that then galvanises others to report their, maybe earlier, sightings!
I believe Martin Cade amalgamated the Birds and Other Wildlife diaries int o one page for ease of data input [he's a busy lad when migration is in full swing]
Cheers,

Steve.

A couple of Birch Shieldbugs attracted to my garden m.v. the other night (picture of each attached).

Stuart.

Attachments

• birch shieldbug1.jpg
    birch shieldbug1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 90
  • birch shieldbug2.jpg
    birch shieldbug2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 90
Dreadful pictures I know, for which I apologise, but I do not know this small shieldbug found last week on the edge of some birch woodland on the Scottish west coast near Ardnamurchan point. Any help gratefully received.

Attachments

• shieldbug_31may05_640.jpg
    shieldbug_31may05_640.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 108
brianhstone said:
Dreadful pictures I know, for which I apologise, but I do not know this small shieldbug found last week on the edge of some birch woodland on the Scottish west coast near Ardnamurchan point. Any help gratefully received.

I would say they are Parent Bugs (Elasmucha grisea), would you agree Harry?

Stuart.

Stuart Read said:
A couple of Birch Shieldbugs attracted to my garden m.v. the other night (picture of each attached).

Stuart.

Hello Stuart,
You are correct, they are of the Birch Shieldbug. Nice pictures.

Harry

brianhstone said:

Hello Brian,

Two large Scotches didn't help to bring them into focus either, lol.

However, I have played around with your pictures in Photoshop and would say that certainly your second picture is The Parent Bug E.grisea. It is known to occur in that area. What the first one is, I'm not sure, maybe another Scotch or two may help.....lol. ;)

Harry

brianhstone said:
Keep going with the scotch by all means but the two pics are of the same individual insect.

Hello Brian,

In that case they're both the Parent Bug. You should find them with ease in your area, they are one of the commonest species on Birch. Have a look at any Birch catkins if there are any left. It is easily found by beating Birch.

Harry

I think I may have just obtained a slightly better photo of a Parent Bug found under a leaf on the birch tree in my garden.

Attachments

• parent_bug_11jun05_640_20.jpg
    parent_bug_11jun05_640_20.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 110
brianhstone said:
I think I may have just obtained a slightly better photo of a Parent Bug found under a leaf on the birch tree in my garden.

Your quite right Brian, It is a Parent Bug, female. She's being very protective of her ova.

Harry

All the attached found while mothing;
1. Hawthorn Shieldbug in the garden moth trap
2. Sloe Shieldbug on willowherb while looking for Momphas
3. Podops inuncta at the base of Viper's Bugloss at Dungeness while looking unsuccessfully for pupa of Cynaeda dentalis

Stuart.

Attachments

• hawthorn shieldbug1.jpg
    hawthorn shieldbug1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 93
  • sloe shieldbug1.jpg
    sloe shieldbug1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 86
  • podops inuncta.jpg
    podops inuncta.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 94
Stuart Read said:
All the attached found while mothing;
1. Hawthorn Shieldbug in the garden moth trap
2. Sloe Shieldbug on willowherb while looking for Momphas
3. Podops inuncta at the base of Viper's Bugloss at Dungeness while looking unsuccessfully for pupa of Cynaeda dentalis

Stuart.

Hello Stuart,
A very nice set of pictures, and spot on ID's. Some people have all the luck. ;) An interesting observation about the P.inuncta, a possible connection with this plant is not mentioned in the literature, but then no one knows what it's plant preferences are. Of course it could have been accidental, but it's worth looking at other plants of Vipers Bugloss to see if you can find additional specimens.

Harry.

I've been getting the occasional shieldbug in my garden.
this one, which I believe is Palomena prasina was found on 13th June.
Ken

Attachments

• shieldbug -- 005.jpg
    shieldbug -- 005.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 88
Surreybirder said:
I've been getting the occasional shieldbug in my garden.
this one, which I believe is Palomena prasina was found on 13th June.
Ken

Hello Ken,
You are correct. It would be worth double checking all similar specimens though, as N.viridula is now known to be breeding in this country. It is very similar indeed, it is slightly larger, with four or five tiny white dots where the scutellum meets the wing cases.

Harry

138mph said:
I found what I believe to be a shieldbug nymph, but I haven't been able to find any matching images. You can view it at:

http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/run.cgi?action=images&prid=1434&skrlist=1434,1192,1191

The two further images are of what I believe to be Hawthorn Shieldbugs, but am ready to be told they are Birch or something else!

Thanks,
Hugh

Hello Hugh,

It looks like your nymph is that of the Pied Shieldbug. There was a similar query a few days ago from jonafly (Andre)

See : http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=36775

Your other two photographs are:-

1. Birch Shieldbug.
2. Hawthorn Shieldbug.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back