• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (4 Viewers)

Forest Bug?

Hi All,
I found this dead in the footwell of my car this morning. It was parked near an oak and sycamore most of yesterday while I was working at Stourhead Show and assume it 'dropped in' then expired in the heat.
I think it's a Forest Bug but would like confirmation. Some of the colours seem wrong but that may be a result of it's now being dead :h?:
Cheers,
Steve.

Attachments

• Dscn3822.jpg
    Dscn3822.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 110
138mph said:
I make the top row (1343,1691,1578) to be Green Shieldbugs;
then 1349 Sloe Bug, and 1601 Blue Bug.

Thanks,
Hugh
http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/run.cgi?action=sgbrowse&template=ukshield

Hello Hugh,
Pics 1,2,&3 are of Green Shieldbug. Picture 4 is more of a problem, if it is Sloe Bug it should be quite hairy, but I cannot see any hairs, even after enhancing the picture. If it isn't Sloe Bug I'm not at all certain what it is, certainly I haven't seen it before. Picture 5 could be either Blue Bug or Stealthy Shieldbug. The early instars are virtually identical in shape and colour. The former is a low plant dwelling species but the latter is arborial and usually found at a good height above the ground if that is of help.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Harry

steve covey said:
Hi All,
I found this dead in the footwell of my car this morning. It was parked near an oak and sycamore most of yesterday while I was working at Stourhead Show and assume it 'dropped in' then expired in the heat.
I think it's a Forest Bug but would like confirmation. Some of the colours seem wrong but that may be a result of it's now being dead :h?:
Cheers,
Steve.

Hello Steve,
Your right, it is a Forest Shieldbug. They do loose their colour soon after death, but the shape of the shoulders is unique amongst British species as is the red spot.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Hugh,
Pics 1,2,&3 are of Green Shieldbug. Picture 4 is more of a problem, if it is Sloe Bug it should be quite hairy, but I cannot see any hairs, even after enhancing the picture. If it isn't Sloe Bug I'm not at all certain what it is, certainly I haven't seen it before. Picture 5 could be either Blue Bug or Stealthy Shieldbug. The early instars are virtually identical in shape and colour. The former is a low plant dwelling species but the latter is arborial and usually found at a good height above the ground if that is of help.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Harry
Thanks for the confirmation, ...
4 is hairy:
http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/ru...001736_0.jpg&prid=1736&skr=105_212_090952,5.3

and 5 was near some adult Blue Bugs.

Hugh

harry eales said:
Hello Steve,
Your right, it is a Forest Shieldbug. They do loose their colour soon after death, but the shape of the shoulders is unique amongst British species as is the red spot.

Harry
Thanks Harry, that's another new species for me - albeit posthumously [the bug that is, not me ;) ] Now to find a live one. I can feel some beating coming on!
Cheers,
Steve.

138mph said:
Thanks for the confirmation, ...
4 is hairy:
http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/ru...001736_0.jpg&prid=1736&skr=105_212_090952,5.3

and 5 was near some adult Blue Bugs.

Hugh

Hello Hugh,
If pic four was hairy, then it is the Sloe Shieldbug. No 5 I'm still not happy about as it is either a first or second instar nymph, the wing buds haven't started to show which means it's no later than second instar. It is possible I suppose for it to be a very late nymph of the Blue Bug, but I haven't seen a Blue bug nymph for several weeks, they're all adults in my area now.

Harry

steve covey said:
Thanks Harry, that's another new species for me - albeit posthumously [the bug that is, not me ;) ] Now to find a live one. I can feel some beating coming on!
Cheers,
Steve.

Hello Steve,
You shouldn't have any problems locating these, try beating Oak, it's their favourite haunt, lots of larva there for them to feed on.

Harry

This probably isn't a shieldbug as such but I'm sure Harry will know it. It was photographed at the weekend in long grass on chalk downland near Winchester.

Attachments

• bug_6aug05_420_20.jpg
    bug_6aug05_420_20.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 124
brianhstone said:
This probably isn't a shieldbug as such but I'm sure Harry will know it. It was photographed at the weekend in long grass on chalk downland near Winchester.

Hello Brian,
It's a second or third instar nymph of a Squash Bug, probably the Dock Bug, but I can't be more certain than that of the species, sorry.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Brian,
It's a second or third instar nymph of a Squash Bug, probably the Dock Bug, but I can't be more certain than that of the species, sorry.

Harry
Hi Brian/Harry,
this nymph is identical to many I saw the other day at Green Lane Wood where earlier in the season I saw adult Dock Bugs in the same spot. Not seen other squash bugs there so...?
Cheers,

Steve.

steve covey said:
Hi Brian/Harry,
this nymph is identical to many I saw the other day at Green Lane Wood where earlier in the season I saw adult Dock Bugs in the same spot. Not seen other squash bugs there so...?

Now what are you trying to get at here Steve? :h?:

Castle shield bug

Hello to the admirers of all wonderful bug shield instars which make their appearance these days. Looking at the picture #5 of the thumbnails in message 401 and reading the reaction/identification by Harry Eales in messages 403 + 407, I would like to tell about an observation made last Saturday. While preparing a public nature walk with some guides, we found a "wants" on the leaves of an elder tree. Wants is the Dutch word for bug, schildwants = shield bug. I noticed the word Kohlwanza in one of the messages, this should be Kohlwanze, German for cabbage (shield) bug (in Dutch Koolwants, I don't know the species from sight).
The shield bug we saw was really brilliant: its back was creamy white with strong black markings, the rest was metallic gold-coloured, and the antennae had two yellow stretches between the black. It really brought to mind a medieval shield, of which the edge and upper part were clad in bronze or copper. Because the wood where we walked is part of an area around a castle, I provisionally called it the Castle Bug, and took it home for identification. My books gave no clue for these colours, but I found a site http://www.gardensafari.net/dutch/schildwantsen.htm (it has an English version as well), which offers a nice series of portraits. The Castle bug is the larva of Troilus luridus, which has no Dutch name. Other sources mention a German name "Spitzbauchwanze" (= pointed belly bug) and English Sedate Shield Bug. Would this be the same as Stealthy ? The descriptions say it does not suck seeds, Steve, it sucks caterpillars (for seeds it needn't be stealthy, however, some seeds can jump ...). I found two pictures of the scarlet-backed version, like the one on thumbnail 5, on: http:www.kreu-fleuch.de/wanzen/spitzbauchwanze.html (with German text) and a beautiful picture of the front part (head and shoulders) on http://hemiptera.free.fr/Troilus_luridus.html.
There is a nice picture of the imago Troilus on http:www.bollocks-designs.co.uk/idgallery/displayimage etc., which shows the striking feature of the yellow ring in the antennae.
My Castle bug (the creamy version is to be found on http://www.compumess.nl/afb/fok/Macro/slides/cm_2004-08-16_18.htm) was released on an elder tree in an estate park, where I have some activities in a team of volunteers. While doing the maintenance of the orchards and the wood supply, we often observe interesting insects, but normally there is not much specialized knowledge available in the field other than for birds and some butterflies.
Well, I hope you keep enjoying observations of these fascinating insects like I will do. Thank you for reading my story !
Jan van der Brugge, Netherlands

Jan v.d. Brugge said:
Hello to the admirers of all wonderful bug shield instars which make their appearance these days. Looking at the picture #5 of the thumbnails in message 401 and reading the reaction/identification by Harry Eales in messages 403 + 407, I would like to tell about an observation made last Saturday. While preparing a public nature walk with some guides, we found a "wants" on the leaves of an elder tree. Wants is the Dutch word for bug, schildwants = shield bug. I noticed the word Kohlwanza in one of the messages, this should be Kohlwanze, German for cabbage (shield) bug (in Dutch Koolwants, I don't know the species from sight).
The shield bug we saw was really brilliant: its back was creamy white with strong black markings, the rest was metallic gold-coloured, and the antennae had two yellow stretches between the black. It really brought to mind a medieval shield, of which the edge and upper part were clad in bronze or copper. Because the wood where we walked is part of an area around a castle, I provisionally called it the Castle Bug, and took it home for identification. My books gave no clue for these colours, but I found a site http://www.gardensafari.net/dutch/schildwantsen.htm (it has an English version as well), which offers a nice series of portraits. The Castle bug is the larva of Troilus luridus, which has no Dutch name. Other sources mention a German name "Spitzbauchwanze" (= pointed belly bug) and English Sedate Shield Bug. Would this be the same as Stealthy ? The descriptions say it does not suck seeds, Steve, it sucks caterpillars (for seeds it needn't be stealthy, however, some seeds can jump ...). I found two pictures of the scarlet-backed version, like the one on thumbnail 5, on: http:www.kreu-fleuch.de/wanzen/spitzbauchwanze.html (with German text) and a beautiful picture of the front part (head and shoulders) on http://hemiptera.free.fr/Troilus_luridus.html.
There is a nice picture of the imago Troilus on http:www.bollocks-designs.co.uk/idgallery/displayimage etc., which shows the striking feature of the yellow ring in the antennae.
My Castle bug (the creamy version is to be found on http://www.compumess.nl/afb/fok/Macro/slides/cm_2004-08-16_18.htm) was released on an elder tree in an estate park, where I have some activities in a team of volunteers. While doing the maintenance of the orchards and the wood supply, we often observe interesting insects, but normally there is not much specialized knowledge available in the field other than for birds and some butterflies.
Well, I hope you keep enjoying observations of these fascinating insects like I will do. Thank you for reading my story !
Jan van der Brugge, Netherlands

Hello Jan,
Welcome to the Entomological Section of Bird Forum. We have a few members from Holland in here, from time to time.

T.luridus is certainly a predator, lepidopterous and Coleopterous larvae being preferred as food. Only a few of the British Shieldbugs have common names and these have not yet stabilised, T. luridus has had several 'common names' in the last half century. Some British species have no common name at all.

I'm pleased that they have caught your attention, and I hope you continue to look for then in the future. I started this 'Sticky Thread some time ago and am delighted with the interest it has generated.

In the last two years there have been a couple of books and some identification literature published in the U/K on British species and this has also raised interest in them. There are of course many more Shieldbug species on the Continent. If you find a Shieldbug you can't identify, post a picture in here, and we will do our best to help you out with an identification.

Harry

Harry

From looking at loads of Pics on this excellent thread, I know its a Sloe Bug, Its my best pic of a Bug so decided to post it.:cool: .
Taken near Twyford Berks, on Burdock.

Attachments

• sloe bugtn_.jpg
    sloe bugtn_.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 130
alan_rymer said:
Harry

From looking at loads of Pics on this excellent thread, I know its a Sloe Bug, Its my best pic of a Bug so decided to post it.:cool: .
Taken near Twyford Berks, on Burdock.

Hello Alan,
Your ID is correct, it's nice to know that this thread is appreciated and helpful at times, I take it you'll be a bug hunter from now on? ;)

Burdock and Thistle heads are the places to look for this species at this time of year. I've only ever found one specimen myself, but then I am on the very northern limit of its range.

Harry

all Green Shieldbugs again?

One of these nymphs has black legs and antannae, are all of them Green Shieldbugs?

Thanks,
Hugh

Attachments

• 55H14D0293.jpg
    55H14D0293.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 100
138mph said:
One of these nymphs has black legs and antannae, are all of them Green Shieldbugs?

Thanks,
Hugh

Hello Hugh,
You are correct, all the nymphs are of the Green Shieldbug, don't worry about slight differences on leg or antennae colouring in nymphs, it's perfectly normal.

Harry

Forest Shieldbug

Though folk might like this pic of Forest Shieldbug (Pentatoma rufipes), the latest addition to the list of other fauna attracted to my moth lights.

So Harry is it Shieldbug or Shield Bug? ;)

Attachments

• forest_shieldbug_11aug05_420_20.jpg
    forest_shieldbug_11aug05_420_20.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back