• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SFL or Trinovid/Ultravid? (1 Viewer)

Hello! I'm about to buy new bins (8x42) to replace my GPO Passion ED (8x42), I wonder how the quality of the glasses from SFL (8x40) compares against a Leica Ultravid or a Trinovid. I know the Leica's are build like tanks, but I'm not sure about SFL's build quality. They need to last at least 10 years or so ( I'll treat them properly ofc. ).

I perfer Leica's saturated optics by a bit, but I don't mind the natural look from Zeiss.

Roger
Hello, Have you thought about buying the GPO Passion HD? Larger, heavier and more expensive than GPO ED but with better optical quality. I have GPO HD 10x42 since 2019 and have been using them since then, I also have Leica Ultravids (not HD) and I don't see any difference in optical quality, well with on GPO HD the view is maybe a little more relaxed. The Leicas have the advantage of being lighter, and when I have to walk a lot I take the Leicas, but not the GPOs. The Leica Ultravids may not be the best in quality, but they are in robustness. In Sulawesi, three experienced birders compared the GPO HD to their Swarovski ELs, everyone said, Wow, they look great. No one could say that the Swarowsky's look better, but for a psychological reason that I can understand no one wants to exchange their €2000 binoculars for €1000 binoculars even though they look the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back